• Register
  • Help

Topic: Band in a Box J&BB Tutorial at PGMusic Site

Share/Bookmark

Band in a Box J&BB Tutorial at PGMusic Site

Our friends at PGMusic, makers of Band-in-aBox, have written a tutorial on how to use the Garritan Jazz and Big Band (and Personal Orchestra) with Band in a Box.

Here is the link to the tutorial:

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_garritan.htm

Band-in-a-Box is an intelligent automatic accompaniment program. You cangenerate jazz or big band accompaniments with Band in a Box. Just type in the chords for any song using standard chord symbols (like C, Fm7 or C13b9), choose the style you'd like, and Band-in-a-Box does the rest. Band-in-a-Box automatically generates arrangements of piano, bass, drums, guitar and other instruments in a wide variety of styles.

Jazz and Big Band is ideal for Band in a Box. There are many style sets for BIAB related to jazz and big band. Styles Sets are add-ons to expand the variety of musical styles (Classical, Jazz, Pop, Funk, Latin, etc.) in which Band-in-a-Box can generate the accompaniment to a song. There are hundreds of styles available -modern jazz, mainstream jazz, Latin, Smooth jazz, requested jazz, jazz waltz, vintage jazz, jazz fusion, to name a few.

You can order Jazz & Big Band and hear demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/jazzbigband.htm

Thanks to PGMusic for writing this tutorial.

Gary Garritan

Re: Band in a Box J&BB Tutorial at PGMusic Site

The demos were impressive but there were no demos with wind instruments.
    Reading the tutorial gives me the impression that the winds do not use the mod wheel. If that's the case JABB would lose a lot of expression.
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Band-in-a-Box is an intelligent automatic accompaniment program. You cangenerate jazz or big band accompaniments with Band in a Box. Just type in the chords for any song using standard chord symbols (like C, Fm7 or C13b9), choose the style you'd like, and Band-in-a-Box does the rest. Band-in-a-Box automatically generates arrangements of piano, bass, drums, guitar and other instruments in a wide variety of styles.

Jazz and Big Band is ideal for Band in a Box. There are many style sets for BIAB related to jazz and big band. Styles Sets are add-ons to expand the variety of musical styles (Classical, Jazz, Pop, Funk, Latin, etc.) in which Band-in-a-Box can generate the accompaniment to a song. There are hundreds of styles available -modern jazz, mainstream jazz, Latin, Smooth jazz, requested jazz, jazz waltz, vintage jazz, jazz fusion, to name a few.

What would be really useful is a tutorial for how to get BIAB to generate the rhythm section for a notated jazz chart minus the rhythm section. I suppose you could input the MIDI output from the Notation program and get BIAB to add the piano, bass, and drums based on whatever "style" the piece is written in... If anybody out there has actually done this, please tell. BIAB is a very reasonable price, but only if it does what I need it to do.

Keith Walls

I have been meaning to write my own tutorial about using Band in a Box for Mac OS X with Garritan products.

The tutorial which PG Music has presented only applies to Band in a Box for Windows.

Getting BiaB to work with J&BB on Mac OS X involves using Apple's MIDI IAC (inter-application communication) feature to wire Band in a Box up to the Garritan player.

I've been prevented from working on this by a nasty bout of strep throat, which I'm still fighting.

More later.

Go Back to forum