• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Sample Problem

Share/Bookmark

Percussion Sample Problem

This morning I accidentally dumped my audio files for the orchestra piece I am working on. I proceeded to load them all back into my GPO STudio (I am working with Sibelius), and when it got to my percussion I loaded the patch called "Basic Orch Perc Combo", which is what I assumed I had used. Then my triangle decides not to play back (the percussion instrument "triangle" mind you).

I did some troubleshooting and realized that there was no triangle sound on the "Basic Orch Perc Combo" file, so I opened an old set of orchestral files and find that the patch I had used before, (which DOES have a triangle sound) is called "Basic Orch Percussion".

Now the LOAD button does not give me an option to load this patch, but because it apparently has been loading everytime I use this GPO studio file, I must have it. What do I do to get THIS patch to load, so that my triangle is available?

thanks,
    MsP

Re: Percussion Sample Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound
    This morning I accidentally dumped my audio files for the orchestra piece I am working on. I proceeded to load them all back into my GPO STudio (I am working with Sibelius), and when it got to my percussion I loaded the patch called "Basic Orch Perc Combo", which is what I assumed I had used. Then my triangle decides not to play back (the percussion instrument "triangle" mind you).

I did some troubleshooting and realized that there was no triangle sound on the "Basic Orch Perc Combo" file, so I opened an old set of orchestral files and find that the patch I had used before, (which DOES have a triangle sound) is called "Basic Orch Percussion".

Now the LOAD button does not give me an option to load this patch, but because it apparently has been loading everytime I use this GPO studio file, I must have it. What do I do to get THIS patch to load, so that my triangle is available?

thanks,
    MsP
    Well, Matthew, a shot in the dark. Copy the library which contains the patch that you want to a new name. Copy the newname library to the same location as your other GPO library files. I would expect it to work. But be sure to give it a different name so it won't affect any existing files when you move the copy!

Whenever you try a new operation, it is always a good idea to have a safe up to date backup or restore point!

Richard

You should not load the Basic Orch Perc Combo from the old DRY folder. Try instead Basic Orch Percussion from the new folder 3. Percussion or 9. Notation | 3. Percussion. At least the latter does have the triangle.

Nickie is correct. The triangle was added to the Basic Orch Percussion just for the notation. It exists in the standard library as part of the Percussion Toys patch.

Tom

Well I have found the sample. But what do I do now? It doesn't seem to want to load anything that isn't a part of the .nks file.

MsP

Quote Originally Posted by Mattssound
    Well I have found the sample. But what do I do now? It doesn't seem to want to load anything that isn't a part of the .nks file.

MsP
    Not sure what you mean - load something that isn't a part of an .nki file? As far as loading goes, .nki (instruments) and .nkm (Multis) are the only type of files that can be loaded into the player. Individual samples cannot be loaded, they must be a part of the mapping of an instrument. If it is just the triangle you still can't seem to locate then load the Percussion Toys instrument into one of the slots of the player and trigger the highest mapped samples (A4 and A#4) - that's where the triangle is mapped for that instrument. All versions of the Percussion Toys have contained the triangle. Since the July update, the notation version of Basic Orchestral Perc also has the triangle but it is mapped to B5 and C6. If you find that playing B5 and C6 do not trigger a triangle sound then I would suspect that you were not successful in applying the July update of the library. Older versions of the library do not have the triangle mapped to the Basic Orchestral Perc patch. Or maybe I'm missing the point here.

Tom

Go Back to forum