• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DEC Waltz - by Jim Gilbraith

Share/Bookmark

DEC Waltz - by Jim Gilbraith

Jim Gilbraith has sent in a new piece. It's a delightful waltz that is part of a larger multi-movement work.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/jg-DEC_Waltz_5.mp3

Jim used GPO and the bundled Overture when he wrote it. Hi brother Rich then used GPO Studio and Cubasis to do some midi editing

Excellent work Jim and Rich. I enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing this.

Gary Garritan

Re: DEC Waltz - by Jim Gilbraith

Fine work on this, Jim and Rich! Very well written, conducted, and rendered. I was especially impressed with the clarity and color of some of the brass writing and execution.

I've listened through this several times with much interest; nice development on it and good use of ensemble, thematic, and dynamic contrast to maintain the forward momentum and interest.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the complete work!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jim:

Great waltz and great GPO playing. I have listened to this composition more than once and it is such a good source for making my "imagination" wander. It captures mine in that it continually makes me think of different things, but related, every time I listen to it. Is this a mind-programming device? LOL.

Anyway, a great piece, Jim, and so easy to listen to.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

LOL... Jack, I was going to mention that aspect of it... but I thought maybe it was just me and the late hour.

One of the hallmarks of strong writing, though!

David.

Jack & David,

On my brother Jim's behalf, thanks for your kind comments. Jim is brand new to the forum; maybe he'll weigh in here sometime soon.

David, you're the epitomy of kindness (maybe only second to Gary, who is probably the Guru of that particular quality). I'm glad you liked the brass writing, as that is Jim's primary area of expertise.

Jack, thanks. So you picked up on the mind control devices we had put into the music. Actually it's all part of a vast, sinister plot to take over the forum with mind control. This piece was alot of fun for me to work on--it's very smooth, do you know what I mean?

I have a question, if anyone cares to answer: Is there too much reverb? I did all the editing with headphones (I know, I know!), but I thought is sounded okay on my monitors, too. Then I heard it once on little computer speakers, and it sort of sounded very much more reverby than I thought it should be. ???

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

ps, thanks Gary for posting the tune!
    Richard Galbraith

Jim:

Listened and relistened and it doesn't have too much reverb in my opinion. But, if the reverb was cut a "tad," it wouldn't hurt anything. I would leave it alone for now.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jim:

Listened and relistened and it doesn't have too much reverb in my opinion. But, if the reverb was cut a "tad," it wouldn't hurt anything. I would leave it alone for now.

Jack
    I, too, just re-listened with attention to the reverb.

I'd definitely go with Jack on this... I think that reverb is just about as perfect as you're going to get it... sounds great. If you cut it back at all, really, as Jack pointed up, it should be reduced only by the barest amount.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi guys;

I appreciate the kind words from real composers and not just my 3 year old! I am, however, open to constructive criticism.

This piece was originally intended to be quite whimsical, and although I think I achieved that, I couldn't help but bring in the brass in the middle. In any case, I agree this waltz isn't going to make anyone think too hard, just to listen to a pretty melody.

I am grateful for the indespensible help from my brother Rich who made this sound like an orchestra, and the chance to participate in this forum! When I get the rest of this suite together we'll post it.

Thanks again,
    Jim Galbraith

Sounds very good to me. All the parts seem realistic. The only thing that is a bit chopped is the very ending note. It is almost as if someone pulled the needle off the record at the very end. I think it could have ended with just the flute closing out the melody and skipping the tutti at the end. just a suggestion.

Reverb sounds fine to me also. Thanks for posting it.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast