• Register
  • Help

Topic: Monitors: top op the line Vs. little brother

Share/Bookmark

Monitors: top op the line Vs. little brother for small studio

I'll be buying new active nearfield monitors soon. I'm going with either Genelec, Dynaudio or Mackie. It's for film scoring / orchestral and some pop work and my studio is small: 5.25 m long by 2.60 m wide by 2.70 m high = 37 m3. I won't be more than 2 m away from the speaker.

So I'm not sure if I should go for the Genelec 8050A / Dynaudio BM6A / Mackie HR 824 (basically the top of the line) or their little brothers Genelec 8040 / Dynaudio BM5A / Mackie HR 624??

I always thought the different models in a series were basically the same speakers and that the only difference between them was that the bigger models have a wider frequency response. So for a relatively small room I should go for a smaller model. However a friend of mine told me that the top models of the series are infact better monitors, not just because of the wider frequency response.. So he said a Mackie HR624 will never be as good a the HR 824 and I should get the HR 824/8050A/BM6A even for a smaller room. But I don't want to have boomy bass in my studio when buying the top model.

N.B. I may be moving to a bigger room in the near future though.

I'd appreciate some guidance here (before going to the dealer). Any info would be appreciated. Please also feel free to share your opinion of the different brands..

Thanks a lot.

Roy

Re: Monitors: top op the line Vs. little brother

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    [...]
    I always thought the different models in a series were basically the same speakers and that the only difference between them was that the bigger models have a wider frequency response. So for a relatively small room I should go for a smaller model. However a friend of mine told me that the top models of the series are infact better monitors, not just because of the wider frequency response.. So he said a Mackie HR624 will never be as good a the HR 824 and I should get the HR 824/8050A/BM6A even for a smaller room. But I don't want to have 'too much bass' in my studio when buying the top model.
    In this pricing region I wouldn't order via internet, but ask a local shop
    to make a test session with this monitors.
    If you don't hear much differences between the smaller and the bigger
    model of one brand buy the smaller one.
    If not it's up to you if the better sound is worth the money.

Tom

The point of nearfield monitors is to remove the room, as much as possible, from the equation. Biggest difference between different sized models seems to be the bass response. I'd get the best I could afford. There was a wonderful "rear speakers for a 5.1 system" thread a short while back that turned into a monitor review. I'd do a search for it.

You may also want to search the Cakewalk forum.

The problem with going out and listening is that you can't know how a monitor will translate into real life mixes until you've used it and gotten the feedback. By then it's generally too late to return it. Better to learn from someone else's experiences. Look for reviewers who's needs parallel yours.

Ernie

Don't worry about top models having "too much bass".

There are two things that you want: accurate response for deep bass, and low distortion during loud bass passages.

What you don't want: peaked mid-bass to make up for the lack of low bass. This is the situation that can give "too much bass". And you don't want your bass to clip and send frequencies up into the mids.

And I agree that you should shop locally. Give the speakers a good listen at the shop. With nearfields the sound will be reasonably similar in your studio. But check their return policy, just in case it's not.

-JF

You will find a lot of comments here
    http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/index.php?

check in Other equipment and Reviews and mixing/mastering forums

SergeD

Go Back to forum