• Register
  • Help

Topic: Millennium - Large Ensemble in AM - Post-Romanticism

Share/Bookmark

MILLENNIUM: Post Romanticism

MILLENNIUM
    large ensemble; single movement beginning in a major

Hello, this is my first post. I am very excited to hear any critiques you may have concerning my compositions. This piece "Millennium" has a mind of its own. The work has many different motifs with less development and more transitional material. Although, there is one single main theme that enters in the beginning that is echoed and varied throughout the work.Thank you for taking the time to download and listen. I look forward to listening to your works and sharing ideas about composition and the GPO & GOS.

DL@
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com/millennium.mp3

Its personality and tone colour suggests a life of trial and rest.
    Millennium was composed in a free form structure with various key
    modulations beginning in AM.

instrumentation:
    2 flute, 2 b-falt clarinet, 2 bassoon,
    2 french horn in f, 2 trumpet, 2 trombone, timpani, crash /suspended cymbals,
    vibraphone, triangle, deagan chimes, 2 violin, 2 viola, 2 cello, & bass

copyright © studio III 2005

Using:
    The Garritan Orchestral Strings
    Westgate Studios Woodwind Collection
    Bigga Orchestral Brass
    DS Soundware Orchestral Percussion Library
    Ensoniq SQ32 Vibraphone Samples
    TASCAM GIGASTUDIO
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: Millennium - Large Ensemble in AM - Post-Romanticism

A highly ambitious, and in my opinion highly successful, Neo-Romantic orchestral fantasia, Michael!

A magnificent introduction of yourself and your music to the forum... may I be among the first to have the pleasure of welcoming you.

This is a considerable achievement, Michael -- and one of which you can be justly and abundantly proud:

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, thank you very much. It is ironic that you replied. I am in the middle of listening to one of your compositions. I'll be posting a reply soon.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to listen and your kind words.

Very impressive, Michael. You demonstrate a compositional skill that I wish I had. You also have a thorough knowledge of the instruments of the orchestra.

Nice going! I look forward to hearing more of your fine music.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Michael, welcome to the forum and congratulations on a magnificent first post. This is flawless in every respect, especially composition and rendering. You have mastered the late/post Romantic style and I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. Bravo!
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Wow, Impressive!

There's so much going on here i wouldn't know where to begin. It's also difficult to find a distinct influence. I recognize themes and voice ensembles from the Romantics to modern film score composers. You've certainly blended 2 centuries of styles seamlessly!

Is it just me or do others feel the musical quality on the forums has recently jumped 306%?
    Great for us listeners, but perhaps a bit intimidating to post as well...

bravo on this outstanding work!,

and welcome... looking forwards to hearing more!

~jeff

Thumbs up Re: Millennium - Large Ensemble in AM - Post-Romanticism

It's a huge and good work, no doubt. Welcome and bravo.

My personal taste would prefer a less wide and less wet ambience: the sound is holliwood-ish, the composition seems more symphonic, then I should expect a concert hall more intimate reverberation.

But probably you decided to keep it wet because of some programmatic intention also ("millennium" sounds heroic and filmic...)

Thank you all very much. Thank you for the inspiring compliments; can't wait to write this weekend. Looking forward to getting around more and listening to other compositions here in the forum.

To address the "re-verb" or "symphonic" concern; Millennium sounds big b/c it is huge... I have plans on striping this piece down which will open it up more and expose more of it's inner workings and give it a more intimate feeling. I have 2 other pieces I will post later that use the exact "re-verb" and "concert hall" settings as Millennium does. It's a compositional error than "re-verb". I composed lighter on the other two and I think they sound very realistic...
    Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to listen.

Michael

This is massive. Composition on a level I certainly dont understand. Just beautiful. Excellent work. Please bring us some more.

Eric

Go Back to forum