• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Here it is, Orchestrated piano work.

Here it is, Orchestrated piano work.

Hi Gang,

I'm at it again. I finally got my piano piece all orchestrated out and my web site upgraded to hold larger sound files. This is the piano piece I had been talking about that Moviemaestro heard the intro to a couple of months ago. Remember that one Steph? I think it was called "Grand style" when I sent it to ya.

Jsp2 and Jmc suggested that I add strings to Sisters spell, I just couldn't come up with a string line for it so I am posting this for them instead.

I present the original piano work the way it stood for about a year and the work as orchestrated within the last week or so.

The piano is GPO and the orchestrated version is, a little this, a little that with some GPO winds and GPO harp. ( Looking forward to GPOA !!)

Piano in G major.

Orchestra in G major. ( A large down load. Sorry.)
    (The Nut )

Re: Here it is, Orchestrated piano work.

Nicely done, 88!

I enjoyed listening to this -- for me, at least, a welcome path through serenity after a hectic day.

Thank you for this!

Thank you very much. I am glad that it helped ease your day a bit. I was trying to go for that easy, sweeping feel. Unfortunately, it looks like you and I are the only two people that like this piece.

I wonder what it is that turns people away from it. Is it the orchestration, melody or just slow paced nature? I would like someone to tell me. Maybe I mixed it so bad that people can't even hear it on their speakers. I know that I've quit trying to write for an orchestra and started writing for the computer. Seems that, it is the only way I know how to make something half way listen-able.

I know there are a lot of things wrong with the piece. Most of it is my mastering abilities. I don't know how to smooth out my instruments and get realistic reverb with out sounding artificial or muddy. I did the mix on head phones which sounds fine, but on my cheapy speakers it has that usual hollow raspy sound that I seem so talented in achieving. I'm sure the head phones was my first mistake but I wish I could get that great sound like so many others that post here

Well back to the drawing board. I have that duet to smash together, maybe I can do a better job on it.
    Or maybe I'll just go join Styxx in the cool down room and not post something until it is worthy of a posting.

Thanks again David, See you around the forum.
    (The Nut )

88, a great deal has to do with the vagaries of how busy the forum is... people have busy lives, and some days, there isn't a lot of traffic. That, and many people listen but don't comment... again, the limits of time -- I more or less live and work on the 'net; but many don't have that luxury, and may have only a small amount of time to spend.

Another factor is the nature of the piece. It's a shame, but gentler pieces inevitably seem to get less attention than the bang-zoom jobbers... lol.

In any event, after still another of those impossibly long days, this piece has again brought me much pleasure in its tranquility.

As for the mix... it's actually rather good.

Could it be better? Sure. And the same thing can be said of 99.9% of the pieces, most certainly including my own, that appear in this forum. Unfortunately, I'm not a great fellow to ask about how to improve a mix... since whatever quality of results I somehow manage to achieve is bought at the price of much labor at trial and error, rather than any science to it.

What I can tell you is this. Listen and relisten, but put it down from time to time to clear your head; persistence is its own reward; and learn to trust your ear and what it tells you.

The rest comes with work and time and patience, my friend.

Worry less, write more -- you'll get there.

My best,

Wine Country, Colorado

I can tell you that as I listened (just now for the first time) the first thing that caught my attention was how convincing your mix is. None of us will ever be completely happy with our mixing but you've done a fine job here. The reverb is, to my ear, just right. Very good orchestrating as well.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thumbs up Re: Here it is, Orchestrated piano work.

Aural images...walking from a forest into a clearing...looking up and seeing mountains in the distance...maybe even a babbling brook. This is very cinematic...in all the best senses of the word.

The reverb sounds good to me, and as far as I can tell your mix is fine. I can hear all the parts, and it all sounds like it is in the same room.

My only criticism is that I will have the theme stuck in my head all day!!! Seriously, this is great.

Right on,

I've been busy, but I am glad I took the time to finally sit and listen to this. This is marvcelously very calming, serene and well orchestrated. Again, you come up with a melody that is obviously yours but somehow quite familiar (like coming home). Thank you!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Thanks etLUx.
    You helped to put things in perspective for me. I think back about the pieces that I've listened to and liked but didn't comment. Seems that the best pieces I've heard I haven't comented on beacuase I thought the composer allready knew they did a great job. In reality, even the best composers doubt themselvs and are looking for encouragement to either keep going with what they are doing or they are looking for what others are trying to tell them about, like things to touch up on or change in their piece.

Unfortunately my forte is in writing slow, mushy, lovey kind of stuff. I think that it is time to really force myself into, bang-zoom jobbers. May be I will even write an abstract orchestral piece. Those seem to do well these days.

Thanks again for your wonderfull words of wizdom, David. You pulled me out of a rut that I was kinda getting in.
    (The Nut )

Thank you for the encourageing words. I do wonder alot about my mixing and orchestration skills. Looks like I may have gotten close on this one though. I think I need to re-arange the instrumentation at 4:43. I would like to leave the chord the same, just to brake up the predictable flow, but need to somehow change the voicing around to make it sit in the ear better.

I apreciate your time.
    (The Nut )

Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    ... In reality, even the best composers doubt themselves...
    Indeed, many of the best composers doubt themselves the most.

It is one of the traits of mind that drives them -- ever toward better work.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast