• Register
  • Help

Topic: FAO ERIC: RMX is amazing... however, one thing is really bugging me tho...

Share/Bookmark

Question FAO ERIC: RMX is amazing... however, one thing is really bugging me tho...

Hi Eric and the Spectrasonics crew,

I bought Stylus RMX some time ago, fantastic bit of kit!!!! I used to spend hours chopping up breaks in my trusty old hardware samplers to pull off what RMX can do in just a few seconds... UNBELIEVABLE! I could go on... RMX is a godsend - If I could program plugins, this would have been the one!! MAXIMUM RESPECT DUE!

OK, gushing aside... there is one thing that is really bugging me... this may be a little tricky to explain so bear with me...

Say for example I've got a wicked groove running in RMX, it's made up of 3 seperate parts all playing together. OK, so I drag each individual midi file over to it's own midi channel in my sequencer and have those trigger the 3 parts instead of stylus itself. All good so far.

Now this is where the problem starts: Say I want to experiment with the sounds that one of the midi files is triggering, by this I mean replace one of the parts in stylus with a new one thus only changing the sounds the existing midi sequence is triggering.

The one thing that causes the problem here is the automatic trigger mode: each time I select a new break in the library browser I don't want RMX to trigger it, I just want it to load and have the sounds triggered by the existing midi sequence that I have looping in my sequencer.

At the moment each time you select a new loop in RMX it automatically triggers it to play, as you can imagine this can create problems when you have a midi sequence already trying to trigger them too - things just get messy! So the solution to this would be to have an additional trigger mode... "Trigger via MIDI only" - or an option in a menu somewhere to just stop RMX automatically triggering loops when you select them in the library browser.

- If you could do this you could happily run through the library testing out sounds of different breaks being triggered by a single looping midi groove in your sequencer - it makes for a lot of great creative possibilities - sometimes it can sound a bit un-natural and wrong, but more often it can produce very useful results! I've worked in studios in the past with the original version of Stylus and I seem to remember you used to be able to work this way, so I was kind of suprised you couldn't do it when I got RMX. For me to be able to do this is be a big part of the creative process, and great fun too!

I've got a few other ideas for new features too, but for the time being I'll leave you with this one as I guess it's gotta be a pretty simple addition that could be done pretty easily... and certainly for me it's the most vital although I'm sure plenty of others would appreciate it too.

Anyway, if you could look into adding this functionality in a future update (the sooner the better! - today maybe?) it would very much appreciated as I feel this is the one thing that really does let an otherwise great program down.

Let me know what you think.

Keep up the great work!

G

Re: FAO ERIC: RMX is amazing... however, one thing is really bugging me tho...

Thanks for the feedback! An unusual request, but we'll consider it for the future.

spectrum

Cheers for the quick reply Eric!

Check your PM.

Unfortunately I just spotted the new RMX update on KVR... 1.5.1c...

Oh well, I guess i'm out of luck this time... but hey, please do another one soon!!!! I so badly need this feature!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Thanks for the feedback! An unusual request, but we'll consider it for the future.

spectrum
    I'll second the request. I've been trying to articulate this idea for some time, but Invisible has gotten the point across beautifully. It really would be a superb additional feature.

Here is another feature I would really find useful. It would be great to be
    able to lock the half speed button when auditioning grooves. It really
    slows me down when choosing grooves to have to select the element
    and then hit the half speed button at the right time. Surely that can't
    be to hard to do.... maybe. What do I know.
    Thanks for this wonderful tool Eric.

I'll second that last request!!!

If I understand what the OP is talking about, I *think* this is actually possible in FLStudio 6, a plugin that (in my opinion) everyone should have if they are serious about drum programming.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I'll third the request for half-time lock.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

That's been on the (very long) request list for awhile.

Thanks for the feedback!

spectrum

Invisible looking at this thread. Once again you are requestion a feature that I don't think many people will use....just stop the sequence load the patch, hit stop on rmx master play and you good to go.... extra steps yes, but I guess you can do a poll to confirm that really and truly not many people really need this.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum