• Register
  • Help

Topic: Absolute Beginner... can't not crash...

Absolute Beginner... can't not crash...

Hi folks, I'm new here... [shuffles nervously]

I just took the plunge and bought GS3 Orchestra, and now feel like I am drowning in a deep blue (-screen of death) sea...

If you can help me get to the point where I can actually launch GS3 for the first time without crashing, I would be so very grateful... and can then move on to the more interesting, substantive questions :-)

I have a Dell Dimension, running a Pentium D, 3.0 GHz, with 2Gb of RAM. OS is (Dell OEM) Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2.

I have tried to make this machine "mostly music" with only things like Cubase SX3, Azureus, Winamp, Nero (*not* InCD), and the like installed.

The computer came with an Audigy2 sound card which I don't use -- I have been using my trusty SeaSound SoloEX as my Mackie mixer/computer interface. Some intrepid soul wrote ASIO drivers for the SeaSound SoloEX, which seem to work fine in Cubase, but it is not GSIF-compatible. I was under the impression that that's OK, since I can run GS3 in conjunction with Cubase in "ReWire" mode...

I installed GS3 off of the installation disc. When running GS3 for the first time, I got as far as it scanning my system for audio files to build up the QuickSound Database. About a minute-anna-half into the process, I got a "Windows has encountered an error -- would you like to send a report?" message. Followed soon thereafter by the first of many Blue Screens of Death. Suddenly, I couldn't even load Cubase on its own without crashing-then-BSoDing.

On at least one occasion, the module referenced in the error report was "msvcrt.dll" -- on at least one other occasion, the error was in msg.exe... or was that msg32.exe???

Next, I d/l'd "GS3_Orchestra_Patch_312.exe" from the TASCAM web site and installed it.

Now, when I launch Cubase, I can actually see "Giga3" under its "Devices" pull-down menu, but I still can't get more than part-way past the "Building QuickSound Database" phase of the initial GS3 program launching. I haven't BSoD'd since, but I still get the error message, and then Cubase tells me that I can't close it because it thinks that GS3 is still running (even though GS3 is not visible in Windows' Task Manager, either under Applications or -- I think -- processes...)

Question: Any ideas why GS3 keeps crashing where it's crashing (i.e., mid-"Building QuickSound Database")? How can I troubleshoot why/how my crashes are different from all the other crashes I've been reading about, online?

TASCAM tech support said that I should buy a dedicated computer for running GS3 only (can't afford to).

They then said that I must remove ZoneAlarm and all antivirus software. I can't do that, because I need 'Net access for the times that I'm not running GS3.

Question: Can't I just temporarily disable my network connection, ZA and Norton AV for the times that I'm running GS3, then resume my normal settings at all other times?

TASCAM tech support said that Dell's OEM Windows was not the "full version" of Windows, which I must have in order to run GS3 properly. I asked Dell tech support, and they said that (i) it is the full version, and (ii) Dell cannot tweak Windows at all, because that would violate their license from MicroSoft.

Question: Any idea whether my Dell OEM Windows is "okay" for GS3 purposes?

TASCAM tech support said that I had to remove "Nero" from my computer. I read online (from TASCAM's own website, regarding known issues with v3.04) that the problem is only with Nero's "InCD," which I have never installed.

Question: Am I okay leaving the non-InCD Nero apps on my machine, as long as I don't run them whle GS3 is running??

TASCAM tech support said that I should go to

for fine-tuning my PC. I got a 404 (page not found) error. I tried reaching http://www.musicxp.net/ and http://musicxp.net/

but found only an "administrator's log-in" page where the website used to be.

Question: Should I be looking somewhere else for the "PC tuning" info?

I'm not sure what else to be asking at this point, since I haven't been able to get very far in the installation/launching process. Any info/advice you could offer would be most humbly and gratefully welcomed.

Thank you all, singularly and collectively!!

-- alanb

Re: Absolute Beginner... can't not crash...

Hi alanb,

recently I built my second workstation dedicated to Gs3.
    I also had the problem with the quicksound database.
    Even when I skipped the quicksound in order to start GS 3 and to start this function later, the result was the same ...some gigfiles were scanned properly and later there was a failure.

What I have done to overcome this problem was to disable/enable some settings. Which are as follows.

Start Gs3 ( if it asks you to built up the quicksound database then skip it ).
    After Gs3 has loaded go to "Gigastudio Settings"-> "Quicksound"

" Search mode" - Recursive
    " Search Properties" - Auto complete existing criteria & Restore to last search on startup

"Results Properties" - Verbose hit reporting
    " Quicksound Database Properties" - deactivate monitor file activity

Go to "Advanced settings" and check the boxes for the files you need ( gig, art,...)
    Include the drive letters where you have the gig files

and last but not least: there is an option where you can specify folders of your harddrives. There are 3 options. Set it to " Include all Folders of the selected drives.

This has cured my problem related to scanning the gig files.
    Interestingly on my main DAW I don't have this problem at all. I can specify the folders and it works.

As to tweak your Pc, here is a link from the tascamgiga website.

Hope that helps.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Hi Przemek K.

Thank you for your quick reply. Your story -- they way you got such different results on your two computers -- shows just how unnerving this whole process is...

I am very nervous about digging around inside Windows, just because it took me so long to get everything stable with my pre-GS3 setup. Is there any way to make the tweaks that you suggest without destroying the balance that I have already achieved on my computer?

In another forum, someone suggested the following:
    If you have a windows xp cd (an not only a "restore cd"), install a clean Windows Xp on anther partition. You'll we able to choose the one you want to load during the computer startup :
    - One "very clean" windows for Gigastudio
    - Another Windows for everything else
    Interesting suggestion... Of course, no such disc shipped with the computer...

I wonder, can I achieve the same results by simply creating a new "user account" in Windows XP? If I create a new "user account" maybe called GS3, can I make user-specific changes to Windows (network settings, which programs are loaded at startup, etc. , that only pertain to that user?

This way, I can make all of the GS3-specific Windows tweaks apply only when I log in as this new user, without endangering the stability I have already achieved for everything else.

Or are "user accounts" only good for limiting which files and programs a specific user can access?

Continued thanks!!

A simple way to make a dual boot system is to install an extra OS hard drive. It depends on if you BIOS allows you to select which hard drive to boot from.

Here's the deal: Add another hard drive. Let's say that it's Disk2, and it is Drive D: in your current Winidows setup. Your original OS drive is Disk1, and is Drive C:.

Go into your BIOS and set it to boot from Disk2. Install a fesh copy of Windows on Disk2. Now Disk2 will boot and be the C: drive. Disk1 will now be the D: drive. It just happens to have a bunch of data on it (like Windows and apps).

There's nothing to say that you can't use Disk1 (D as an audio or sample disk. Just make sure that it's defragged.

When you want to go back to your original setup, just reboot, go into the BIOS and choose to boot from Disk1.

The advantage here is that the two systems are 100% independent. There's no risk of screwing up your original setup while trying to make it dual boot. Also, there's no added delay trying to decide which OS to boot. It boots from drive C: no matter what.

I've done both styles of dual boot. Both can work, but the separate disc method is a bit simpler for those who prefer a big hardware switch, rather than dealing with a bunch of software decisions.

Hi, Jon:

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    A simple way to make a dual boot system is to install an extra OS hard drive. It depends on if you BIOS allows you to select which hard drive to boot from.

The advantage here is that the two systems are 100% independent. There's no risk of screwing up your original setup while trying to make it dual boot. Also, there's no added delay trying to decide which OS to boot. It boots from drive C: no matter what.

I've done both styles of dual boot. Both can work, but the separate disc method is a bit simpler for those who prefer a big hardware switch, rather than dealing with a bunch of software decisions.

I spoke to Dell tech support, and was told that, regardless of whether I (i) place two instaces of Windows in separate partition on a single drive, or (ii) take the two-separate-boot-drive approach, I will still have to buy and install Partition Magic, or a comparable program. Otherwise, I won't be able to "hide" the partition with the version of Windows that I'm *not* using at that moment, and I will run into "boot.ini" problems... is that correct?

Do Kompakt 2 users have these same problems? Is this a "typical high end software sampler" problem, or is it just a "typical GS3" problem?

Thank you all for your help and input... it's getting very discouraging to learn of all these "hidden" costs (new software, second internal hard drive, dedicated computer, etc.) before even being able to launch the software for the first time... not to mention the growing fear that, based upon what I've been reading here, these additional expenditures may or may not even solve my problems (what if it turns out to be my RAM, or who-knows-what-else)...???

I've used both methods of dual boot, and I don't own partition magic.

If you already have a PC with a single partition, you would need Partition magic to turn it into a multi partition drive, if you don't want to reformat it.

If you already have multiple partitions, or purchase a separate driver, Windows simple looks at the boot.ini file on the first partition of the boot drive, and decides what to do. It will ignore other boot.ini files on other drives and partitions.

BTW, here's my boot.ini file, FWIW. It defaults to Win XP, but lets me choose W2k...

[boot loader]
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Wink Re: Absolute Beginner... can't not crash...

I also experienced the Quicksound related crashes that you described in the original thread. I solved the problem by updating to the most recent patch of GS3 and also performing the GS System Settings changes that Przemek K; detailed in his/her response. You might also want to try the "Include only specified folders" in the Quicksound preferences if you have the luxury of storing all of your Gig related content in a consolidated place(s). This will make the Quicksound build process faster.

If you are still experiencing the Quicksound update crash after making these changes try deleting the Quicksound Database registry directory using RegEdit; this registry can be corrupted.

In Reply to some of your other questions, I am running WinXP with SP2, Nero
    Burning ROM, and Zone Alarm and none of this seems to have an effect on
    my ability to run GS3 in rewire mode within Nuendo3.

A secondary boot drive seems like an overkill, what is the current state of your crash?

Los Angeles

Dual boot is too bizarre. I do not know why anyone in their right mind would want to invite the can of worms that dual boot brings to a consumer machine.

So, here's my 2 cents about the overall computer structure.

First of all, zap out and uninstall all the music stuff from the Dell drive...Cubase...Gigastudio etc

Go buy a $20 internal dock and two removable bays..Inclose/Sanmax/Kingwin etc. Take out the existing Dell drive, slide in the dock, plug in the 2 cables, put the Dell drive in one of the removable bays, and bang...your computer is where it was when you bought it.

Now, spend $98 for a full version of Win XP and $40 for a second hard drive.

Put the 2nd hard drive in the 2nd removable bay.
    Slide the Dell bay out of the pc.
    Slide the new bay in.
    Install the standalone Win XP on the new bay drive. Tweak it.
    Do not set it up for Internet or chatting or other junk...
    Only purely tweaked for music.
    Install Gigastudio on that second bay that has the freshly installed Win XP. And nothing else.

Through the magic of two little removable bays, you now have basically two computers. One for Dell games,gizmos,and os lunacy. And one really well-tweaked one for Gigastudio only.

By the way, anytime I buy a factory built Pc, the first thing I do is completely erase the hard drive and do a fresh install of standalone Win XP. What you get for "free" with all those factory apps are basically trial or crippled versions of junk that do little more than sludge up and slow down a perfectly good machine.

Oh and by the way...once you get your system the way you want it, buy Ghost and Ghost the new setup. Then Ghost it again later on when you add to the setup. That way, you don't have to sit there a year from now when a drive crashes and try to remember how you finally got a good install profile.

Quote Originally Posted by alanb

TASCAM tech support said that I should buy a dedicated computer for running GS3 only (can't afford to).
    Yeah that's a great idea. I wonder why they don't put that on the box under system requirements? I guess they do or they don't want to limit their market.

I don't recall if they give you choices on the database to search after an install but I keep all my gigs in one folder so it doesn't scan all over the place.

Too bad Tascam doesn't have a demo so people don't go through the frustrations of making an expensive mistake.

Los Angeles, CA

I think the basic troubleshooting concept is to first try running GS standalone with no other apps running. And, to run through Tascam's "Optimizing Windows XP for Gigastudio" instructions here.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned above was that you could, when trying to run GS for the first time, limit what the QuickSound database searches for. If you're crashing out on some strange file when QuickSound tries to scan it, try limiting QuickSound to only the folder(s) containing GIG files.

I remember way back with the original GigaSampler, there was this one guy who posted to the forums with white-hot fury because he had tons of files all over his system, and QuickSound would take eons going through them (or crash) on each startup. So I think Tascam added the "opt-out" features for QuickSound largely because of user problems like these.

You could also make sure your designated GIG folders contain only GIG files or/and other files created/used by GS.

You can also un-check the QuickSound options for scanning WAV files (I don't use them in GS).

Here's a screenshot of what those settings look like, i.e. behind the "Advanced settings..." button below:

Do you have any other apps installed that might be protective of the file type extensions selected in the "QuickSound Advanced Configuration" window above?

I should add that while this screenshot was taken from GS3 already running, you will also see a QuickSound config window during the installation wizard that looks and acts the same. Try uninstalling/reinstalling, and then putting in settings like the above.

Also during installation, another thing you could do would be to not tell GS3 the location of your VST plugins folder (if you did). That can eliminate a whole bunch of possible compatibility issues right there, though of course I doubt this is relevant to your current situation.

(MSVCRT.DLL and MSG32.EXE are important to a lot more than just GigaStudio, so any errors mentioning those files could suggest a wide range of potential problems.)

The basic point being that when you have compatibility problems, you should turn off absolutely every unnecessary program, option, or feature possible. Hopefully, that will let you start from a stable system and work your way up from there.

Good luck!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum