• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update: Dick Grove's music school (self-study program)

Share/Bookmark

Update: Dick Grove's music school (self-study program)

well, I promised to give an update regarding this learning proram, and i have now been taking these courses for three and a half months, so here goes:
    this program is absolutely amazing-- i was looking for an alternative to music school (b/c of time constraints and other studies) but I wanted something that was comprehensive and taught the info in a way that could be easily understood and applied-- other than berklee's online program, this is the only other program i could find- it is completely self-study, which means it requires self-motivation, but also has the benefit of being able to fit into whatever schedule u could possiby have -- even the berklee courses are not without deadlines and u need constant access to internet--
    so basically the lessons are dvd's with dick grove as the teacher-- he is an amzing teacher and obviously has as good credentials as anyone -- and if u have any questions, u can call the guy who now runs the program who is very knowlegeable ( as obviously dick grove is no longer with us, unfortunately)-- they offer musicianship courses, which provide an extremely strong basis of music theory and "musicianship" and then u can move on to applied courses, which are for jazz keyboard/piano, guitar, and composing and arranging
    for now, i'm heading toward the end of the first musicianship course, and i can't believe how much i've progressed in the last few months-- the courses are taught in an original way which teach u how to hear what u are learning-- it doesn't really help to know what a minor seven flatted fifth chord is if u can't identify it and understand how to hear it and how it is applied ( which apparently some music school graduates complain they lack, the bridge between theoretical knowledge and being able to use it)-- in general, everything dick teaches is very practical, there's no point for useless info that won't get u where u want to go-- there is a lot of work for each lesson, but by working through the material u become very comfortable with everything being taught, until it becomes intuitive-- the work ranges from written theory exercises, to notation exercises, to sightsinging, eartraining/dictation, and keyboard harmony exercises-- the only prerequisite knowledge is some very basic reading skills (like which note is on which line/space in treble and bass clef) and in fact if u are missing this knowledge they can even provide some material to teach u that--on the other hand, the courses become very sophisticated, and each builds off what u already learned so that u constantly become more familiar with the material and can start getting into more complicated aspects of harmony, etc.--

soon, i'd like to start their composing and arranging course, (for most people it's supposed to take like between two and four years, obviously that varies on the person, how much time you're putting in, etc.) and seems to be very extensive--- it teaches how to write for every instrument, and in a variety of styles, including big band, broadway, jass, pop, fusion--obvioulsy it's abig undertaking but it's an opportunity to learn for the man himself, and there is no way that someone who is motivated and puts in the time and effort will not gain tremendously from this program--

the prices are relatively inexpensive considering what u are getting and how much u would pay in a conventional music school (not to mention certain things u gain by learning dick grove's methods that u wilol not get anywhere else) , u can check it out on his website, and there are excellnet discounts if u buy each course in its entirety rather than lesson by lesson-- also there is a money-back guarantee on the first two lessons , to let u see what's goin' on and how it all works---

the bottom line is , these courses are the real deal, a unique opportunity for anyone who wants to learn music on their own schedule, and nowadays with all the technology coming out, what will separate one person from the next is their skill and knowledge (obviously as well as creativity and originality, but even those things can be enhanced by a proper education)-- also, i played by ear for seven years, and have been composing music long before that, but now i'm finally developing all those other skills along the way, like reading and writing music, sightsinging, which are so important for relating to other musicians and necessary requirements for arrangers/composers,etc.--
    i guess this might sound like an infomercial but it's just i've been working on this stuff every night for the last few months and i want people to know about this opportunity-- if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to try to answer them

Re: Update: Dick Grove's music school (self-study program)

Old thread I know, but I am thinking about taking up big band arranging again after a long time off. I posted about this here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57698

I was wondering whether you have taken Dick Grove's arranging course yet and if so what it is like.

I am considering either taking lessons from a local big band arranger, or some form of self study via email. Since most of my time will still be spent working on my playing I will probably only be able to spend 2-3 hours per week on arranging.

I basically want to go as far as I can go with the available time I have. I don't necessarily want to become professional, but just be able to write and record big band arrangements for big bands that I play in, and just like my playing keep on working at it and take lessons.

Thanks

I have a bunch of Dick Grove books and videos that I bought some years ago and never got around to using. If anyone is interested in buying this courseware, talk to me for a deal.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42 View Post
    I have a bunch of Dick Grove books and videos that I bought some years ago and never got around to using. If anyone is interested in buying this courseware, talk to me for a deal.
    dewdman, I see that this post is several years old, but I was curious; do you still have any dick grove materials you want to sell?

Ummm – your mail box is full.

yea I still have it, but after pulling it out of the closet I decided I want to study it first. hehehe.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum