• Register
  • Help

Topic: Non-Orchestral Samples for K2

Share/Bookmark

Non-Orchestral Samples for K2

Just yesterday for an indie film I had to create a latin song that would be heard through a wall in an apartment. I realized that while our orchestral library is now very strong thanks to some recent purchases, our pop/rock/latin sounds have not advanced past our old Akai libraries and the presets of EXS and K2. Specifically I lacked a good brass section, trumpet solo, steel string guitar and timbales. I made due with what I had, but I'm glad the final product is heard through a wall -- I'd hate to hear it in the clear.

Can anyone suggest a good library to cover these basics? The ideal answer is compatible with K2, does not have lots of orchestral sounds, has guitars that strum and brass that has lots of flashy stuff (falls, shakes, etc.) and, ideally, costs less than $500. I'll disqualify Collosus now, due to all the orchestral and ethnic sounds which I already have well covered. I don't really need dance or electronica sounds either. Drum loops are nice, but for ballads and latin over dance. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    JD

Re: Non-Orchestral Samples for K2

Best Service's "Festa Latina" comes closest afaik. Although it's loops, not individual instruments. I think it would've worked well for the cue you describe. It's Akai (I think, can't find it right know), so Kontakt can read it, 3 volumes (CD-Roms) total.

Quote Originally Posted by dackl
    Can anyone suggest a good library to cover these basics? The ideal answer is compatible with K2, does not have lots of orchestral sounds, has guitars that strum and brass that has lots of flashy stuff (falls, shakes, etc.) and, ideally, costs less than $500. I'll disqualify Collosus now, due to all the orchestral and ethnic sounds which I already have well covered. I don't really need dance or electronica sounds either. Drum loops are nice, but for ballads and latin over dance. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    JD
    Hi,
    I had the same problem some months ago.
    What you'll find are lots of loop based libraries, some with some playable
    instruments, but mostly loops.
    I use now a combination of Colossus and Garritans Jazz & Big Band (JABB),
    but Colossus is already excluded from your list.

My advice is to have a closer look at JABB and add an inexpensive latin
    percussion library (there are loads of it available), that should cover
    the basics.

Good luck.
    Tom

JABB is a good call. I was already thinking in that direction. The demos sound pretty good. I like the price, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I'm half asleep, but doesnt JABB include a pretty good selection of latin percussion also?

Tom
    Yep, you're right. I forgot about JABBs percussion because I don't use it.

Tom

Loops are good. Especially for typical latin brass phrases which haven't really changed in 50 years and won't change in the near future. So for the basic beats and phrases why not loops?

If you where to use just sampled brass patches you'd just be writing what's already been looped with real brass since latin music uses many of the same phrases over and over again. For variety you can use live or acid and chop the phrases up and stuff.

For lead trumpet lines believe in or not Sonic Implants has a good downloadable session trumpet in SF format. It takes a little getting use to but it has bite. And it only works well at maximum velocity setting. JABB has expressive trumpets but you'll have to adjust the attack to get it to bite for latin music.

Overdub, latin percussion tracks, trumpet and live guitar to your tracks and for less that about $100 in a day you'll have authentic latin tracks. Works well.

Ars

My business partner is a great trumpet player, so for any final products I always get him to play live. This was just something I needed quickly. Also, I play guitar, but I would love to find a library of strumming guitar. We have some Zimmer Guitars, but they're a bit old and creaky.

Thanks for all the responses.

JD

For Latin percussion I bought Doru Malaia's '230 Ethnic Drums and Percussion,' which has tonnes of samples per instrument, and then did the programming myself. Sonic Implants 'Afro Cuban' percussion is also OK, but many of the instruments only have one dynamic layer.

Go Back to forum