• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 5 and setting up Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 5 and setting up Kontakt Player

I am totally new to Sonar need some help setting up to use GPO in Sonar 5.

I have copied the 'PersonalOrchestraVST.dll' file into the Sonar VST Plugins folder. Next I opened a MIDI file in Sonar.

Now I'm stuck, I can't see how to access the 'Kontakt Player' to set up my instruments. Is there a Sonar user here who could give me a few basic steps on how to do this? I have done this effortlessly in Cubase previously but can't see how it's done in Sonar which I am now using.

I have tried following the Sonar Tutorial but it deals with DXi and I can't find where it actually explains how to access 'Kontakt Player'; I want to keep with the VST and not DXi. I have also tried some searches in the forums without any luck.

Hope someone will help me with this. Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Sonar 5 and setting up Kontakt Player

From the menu, choose Tools/VST Configuration Wizard. A box will come up showing you the paths Sonar will look in for plugins. If the folder where you keep the GPO plugin isn't shown, click "Add..." and show the program where it is.

After the Sonar knows the location, click the "Next" button to have it re-scan for plugins. You will only need to do this one time.

GPO should now appear as an option for inserting an instrument into the Synth Rack. You should have both the DXI and the VST versions available.

DXI: Insert/Soft Synths/NI/Garritan Personal Orchestra
    VST: Insert/Soft Synths/VST/PersonalOrchestraVST

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help. I've been using Sonar for years, and am pretty comfortable with it.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hello Jamie,

Many thanks for your reply. I had managed to get as far as installing the plugins. I then opened a MIDI file in Sonar, it's just what to do after that. However, you gave me a clue by mentioning the 'Synth Rack'. I looked this up in the 'Help' menu and then I was able to access the Kontakt player.

You mention the following options:

DXI: Insert/Soft Synths/NI/Garritan Personal Orchestra
    VST: Insert/Soft Synths/VST/PersonalOrchestraVST

I can't find the above .. I'm using Sonar 5 Producer. What is the path to this choice?

Also when I open my Synth Rack I get the following:

In the above there is: 'NI Garritan Personal Orchestra' and under VST there is 'Personal Orchestra VST'. Which of these should I use? Do they do the same job?

Lastly (for this post ) When I trrialled Cubase and imported a MIDI file I created in Finale all my settings including trills, tempo, staccatto etc were intact. When I imported the same MIDI file into Sonar all my settings were lost. Is this normal or have I missed something.

Many thanks again for your offer of help.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I'd go with the vst version. There are problems with dx versions of kontakt/kompakt in sonar. When you click on the vst version to open it, check the boxes that say 'midi source', 'first audio output', and 'synth property page'.

Then two tracks will be created - the top one is the audio output, the bottom one is where you put the midi info/notes. You can clone the bottom track 7 times and set the outputs of the 8 midi tracks to GPO 1-8 for your 8 instruments.
    Dane Hawkes DiAnda
    C. I. Studios

Go Back to forum