• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choice made between GPO with Sonar5 or Cubase SX

Choice made between GPO with Sonar5 or Cubase SX

Well, after weeks of trialling GPO in both Sonar and Cubase, reading endless posts here in Garritan forums about users' experiences and spending time in both Sonar and Cubase Forums, I finally made my decision. I've saved my pennies and splashed out on.. (trumpet fanfare please) ... SONAR5!!

I have only ever used GPO in Finale so this is going to be some learning curve and I've already posted my first cry for help (expect there'll be lots more .. ooof)

One interesting point is that I made a very polite, respectful and mild post in the Cubase forum mentioning the dongle issues contributing to my choice of Sonar and within an hour a moderator had locked the post .. but not before two replies in favour of the dongle and despite the fact that there is a great deal of frustration in their own forums over Steinberg's dongle policy. I am a one time moderator for Linspire (previously 'Lindows') where competing products are regularly discussed freely. It's the same in these forums, Gary has even recommended a competing product, and posts are not locked by our friendly, tolerant moderators. Still, it's the Cubase moderators' right I suppose but it does gives me another reason to justify my choice.

Anyway, looking forward to the GPO/Sonar experience .. er .. I hope.

Now .. do I have enough pennies left to buy JABB? Let me see .. er .. 1, 2, 3, 4 ...
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Choice made between GPO with Sonar5 or Cubase SX

I think you'll be pleased with Sonar once you get a feel for the wheel. Er, mod wheel, that is. It's one think to write the music but you are, after all, dealing with MIDI, and sooner or later you're going to want to tweak stuff. I've been using it since it was Cakewalk and did nothing but MIDI, and I must say it's very well suited to that task. Of course, with power comes complexity, but I think you'll find that once you get settled in it will all work quite nicely for you.

In fact, I use Sonar strictly for MIDI. Nuendo is my DAW of choice. Consequently, I have on occasion been on Steinberg forums. They are without a doubt the strictest moderators that I've ever seen. However, present company excluded, musicians are often exceedingly rude, insulting and arrogant in online forums. Although I prefer the way things are handled here, I can't completely fault the Steinberg moderators for having more of a zero tolerance mentality.

The most important thing, though, is that you've made a decision! Soon you'll be a Sonar guru, and then it's all about the music again.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Unhappy Re: Choice made between GPO with Sonar5 or Cubase SX

I had very good experiences with the friendly and effective interface of Cubase, and some other few Steiberg softwares (being a Mac user, I can't use Sonar anyway).

I had this feeling: users are friendly and help each other, but moderators seem to use a one way censorship against critics, even if right, polite and seriously supported by samples, and they let arrogant and offensive Steinberg supporter free of attacking any little trial of discussion. Because of this feeling i've no longer frequented his forum, but after your tale, I suppose that my experience was not a coincidence...

I can accept severe rules of polite dialog, but a simple one way communication isn't really useful for his company IMHO.
    (they will never have my money again, probably).

The Hurricane place

I love Sonar. I messed with cubase a bit that came with GPO ages ago, but im so used to sonar now that switching or using/learning the other just seemed pointless. Everyone has their own prefered setup. The only thing the sonar/gpo mixture has done to me is made me lazy with notation Oh well
    Robert Davis

I have both programs. Sonar 5 and SX 3 both have their strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, either will get the job done. I see you picked Sonar and I must say that it is a good choice. However, if you had picked SX, I would have said the same thing too! LOL!

Regarding the forums. The Steinberg forums can be unfriendly. But so can the Sonar forums. I've read comments from members (long standing members) from both forums rip apart a "newbie's" post/question. Not cool in my book. Still, both bulletin boards offer good info if one can get past some of the "attitude".

I think the Garritan bulletin board is wonderfully moderatored. The atmosphere here is very supportive and friendly.

By the way, I am a co-administrator for a HUGE nursing bulletin board. There are over 110,000+ members with over 100+ topic forums. This nursing bulletin board reached its 1,000,000th post a few months ago! As a co-administrator, I see and handle a lot of wierdness. Lots of trolls and trollish behavior!! I can appreciate "strict". This nursing bulletin board may be strict, but it's fair. . . and the atmosphere, too, is supportive and friendly (I am proud to say!).

My hats off to the moderators of Garritan Forums. They, indeed, do a great job here!

California Redwoods

Well, I think Sonar is a very good choice. It may be a bit difficult to learn, but it is worth the effort. Sonar can do anything I need except make a nice looking score, and for that I have Sibelius. Like Chris Duncan, I have been using Sonar (Cakewalk) for a long time -- I think my first Cakewalk was a DOS version. I have tested others, and Sonar/Cakewalk was always out front.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    ...However, present company excluded, musicians are often exceedingly rude, insulting and arrogant in online forums.
    To say nothing of real life!

I faced the same choice between Sonar and Cubase a couple of years ago. I chose Sonar and have never regretted the choice.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum