• Register
  • Help

Topic: Web Site Construction Problem (OT?)

Share/Bookmark

Web Site Construction Problem (OT?)

I am organizing material in this layout:

name.mp3
    name.pdf
    name--link to score id where purchase is possible.

I am working off line for now. I can not find a way to copy a link to the appropriate folder. Is this possible? I could sure use a clue. I am running out of cusswords.

Richard

Re: Web Site Construction Problem (OT?)

Could you please give us a little more details? I understand your frustration, but I fear that we don't understand completely where the exact problem area lies?

Are you trying to say you are arranging your files in the windows file explorer? Trying to move links to documents?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Could you please give us a little more details? I understand your frustration, but I fear that we don't understand completely where the exact problem area lies?

Are you trying to say you are arranging your files in the windows file explorer? Trying to move links to documents?
    I am creating a folder on my drive, with various sub-folders, which ultimately will be uploaded. The contents of each sub-folder will contain mp3 files with a related pdf file. I wish also include a link such as this

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=73568

for each mp3/pdf group. I have the most of the mp3s and pdfs in the appropriate folders, but I can not find a way to include the links.

I am doing as much work off line as possible because of my slow connection. When it is all together a friend will upload my DVD to the site where I can then work with it.

Actually, this web site thing is one of the most frustrating things I have tried in a long time. Every answer generates a series of questions, without end! I have tried a few books, but they seem to answer all the questions that I don't have. I think that this is the last problem before I actually get the site up. Then I guess I have to look into the matter of hot links, but that is a small consideration now.

Richard

Hi Richard,

What sort of software you are using to create the webpage? Is it Dreamweaver or any other program so that I could narrow down to the problem. If you're using Dreamweaver, put all files in one single working folder with appropriate folders/subfolders.

When you edit the main page, say index.html, you can type in the link say: "Click here to download song1" and highlight it, under the properties window type the link out, for example: mp3s/song.mp3.

That should do the trick. In fact, after doing it you can upload the files yourself, since Dreamweaver has its own ftp functions, as long that u have the username, ftp address and password.

Just pm me if you need further clarifications.

Peter
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM
    MUSIC . SOUND . MULTIMEDIA DESIGN

If you're editing the html, the html code to create links with is generally formatted :

<a href="folder/name.mp3">Link Text Here</a>

assuming that the "folder" folder and the html document in which this link is written are in the same directory themselves. To link to the Sibelius page, it should be as simple as :

<a href="http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/show_score.pl?scoreid=73568">Link Text Here</a>

Hope this helps! I can understand how frustrating this sort of thing can be!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum