• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hit movie "Hoodwinked" scored with GPO

Hit movie "Hoodwinked" scored with GPO

The first independent CGI-animated feature film to receive major distribution, Hoodwinked, was scored with GPO.

It's also the first movie soundtrack score for veteran rock multi-instrumentalist, orchestral arranger and producer John Mark Painter (Fleming and John, Ben Folds, John Mayer, William Shatner, dc talk, Sixpence None the Richer, Collective Soul, etc.)

The movie is a modern retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood story, and stars the voice talents of Anne Hathaway, Glenn Close, Jim Belushi, Andy Dick, Patrick Warburton, and David Ogden Stiers.

It's done $44 million in box office in the USA in its first four weeks and is still high on the charts.

The soundtrack features songs by Corey Edwards and a performance by Ben Folds. Many of the music cues are a deliberate homage to Harold Faltermeyer ("Fletch", "Beverly Hills Cop", "Top Gun") and feature an old Moog synthesizer, Roland analog drum machines, and Theremin. However, there are also more than 50 orchestral cues, some big band jazz, and even bluegrass with a banjo solo.

John Mark Painter used GPO in its intended fashion--which is to say he mocked up the whole movie in GPO and then replaced everything with a 50-piece live orchestra recorded at Ocean Way Studios in Nashville. He says there may be some occasional bars of filler material recorded with GPO that were added to the final score to accommodate last minute changes after the orchestra was sent home.

I'm going to do a more detailed writeup on the project and submit it to Gary for the next Garritan newsletter.

John Mark Painter is an old friend of mine from our years at Belmont University School of Music in Nashville.

Re: Hit movie "Hoodwinked" scored with GPO

Gary is going to be like a proud father again!
    Great info. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that John Mark Painter also has a Grammy award. He produced two songs on the dc talk album Jesus Freak which received the Grammy for Best Rock Gospel Album in 1997. The album sold several million copies and is regarded as one of the most important albums of its genre.

John Mark Painter has a woefully neglected web site at:

and some other information at

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Hit movie "Hoodwinked" scored with GPO

Wow! Congratulations to all involved! Now, forgive me but, has this been advertised on national television?
    Way too cool! Again, congratulations!

OK, I propose the dpDan challenge. Lets all go to the theatre this weekend and see if we can't pick out the GPO parts if they exist.

This is great news. Thanks for letting us in on it. I know Gary is proud as can be, and we'll all proud of him too.

Really?! Awesome!

Funny thing is... a while ago I made a post in the Off-Topic section about how bad I thought the animation for this movie looked. Still, a movie is perfectly capable of being poorly animated, yet being entertaining and having a nice score!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Bump (bump)

Orcas Island

Thanks for posting about this. $44,000,000 for an independent movie?

I am looking forward to see the movie when I get off the island. I heard that John made some vocal cameo appearances in the film and does a a duet with Jim Belushi. If you're in touch with John Mark Painter please thank him for me.

It's an honor that GPO was used to score an entire movie.

Thanks again,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I heard that John made some vocal cameo appearances in the film and does a a duet with Jim Belushi.
    Actually it's John's wife Fleming McWilliams who sings the duet with Jim Belushi. It's called "Schnitzel on a Stick" or something like that.

There are some jazz horn section cues in the movie where John plays all the real live horns, multi-tracked.

Beyond wielding the full power of conducting a 50-piece orchestra, John can and does play all the string family instruments, all the brass family instruments (although I don't think he plays reeds), all the guitar and keyboard, accordion, all the drums (not just kit but also African and Indian percussion), theremin, and probably many others I'm not aware of. And he's a serviceable backup singer.

He's toured and performed live with Ben Folds, the Indigo Girls, Steve Taylor, and his own band Fleming and John. In these capacities, it's been bass guitar, rhythm guitar, keyboards and trumpet.

He's really handy with a soldering iron, too. He once acquired a non-working Mellotron and restored it to full health, although he then sold it because it was taking too much of his time.

My honest critical appraisal is that the movie is not that great. The animation is Saturday morning TV cartoon quality. The script really appeals to post-baby-boomer adults. It's not really entertaining for kids (there were a lot of bored, fidgeting kids at my screening). The pacing is uneven and drags quite a bit at times. The dialog and the songs are so-so.

Having said that, it's the first film by a brand new independent animated family film production company that has gone up against the big boys (Disney, Dreamworks, Pixar, etc) and come up with a slow-burning hit on their first try. And they've done it all completely outside of the Hollywood system. THIS is the great acheivement. I hope to see more films from this company in the future, and I expect that the quality will improve.

Go Back to forum