• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It fingers!

Share/Bookmark

Angry It fingers!

Always happens when I am away from my system. The big choral / orchestra piece singing in my head!!! Well, I guess it don't matter seeing that I dunt have a choral library yet. Still, why do you do dis to me? Why? ... Do dis to me? Why?

Re: It fingers!

I'll call that and raise you one.

I often have dreams of fantastic orchestral scores I have written and am conducting. Crazy, impossible, mind-blowing stuff.

By the time I wake up... poof. Gone forever.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I'll call that and raise you one.

I often have dreams of fantastic orchestral scores I have written and am conducting. Crazy, impossible, mind-blowing stuff.

By the time I wake up... poof. Gone forever.
    You should hire a Monk and have him sit by your bedside as you sleep to write this stuff down. Hey, you never know!

I think it's a good sign though... it means your subconscious is thinking musically! I think one of the hardest things for many of us is getting the music we hear in our head to sound just as good in reality.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I think it's a good sign though... it means your subconscious is thinking musically! I think one of the hardest things for many of us is getting the music we hear in our head to sound just as good in reality.
    Yeah, well mine sounds the best subconsciously due to all the ambient space!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yeah, well mine sounds the best subconscious due to all the ambient space!
    Reverb!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I do not think that the really great music (or designs, etc) that we seem to hear in our music is any more real than the really great philosophical notions that seem to be experienced on certain drugs. I agree with Freud in thinking that the content of dreams are reconstructed when we awake and that the dream in itself is only an impression - thus the dream only presents the impression of experiencing mind blowing but there is nothing there that could even in principle be translated into wakeful life.

Or, insofar as any of these dreams do bring a real content, it must be divinly inspired but the vast majority are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenakis
    I do not think that the really great music (or designs, etc) that we seem to hear in our music is any more real than the really great philosophical notions that seem to be experienced on certain drugs.
    Interesting point... and I think it leads to a question (that I don't believe scientists have found an answer for) ... why is music so enjoyable? What is it about the brain that says "ooh, I like this organized noise!" And it changes... the first time you listen to a piece it probably won't have the same effect on your brain as the 20th time you listen it. Then again, the feeling of joy from music and whatever feelings drugs give you (I have no intent to try drugs myself ) can probably be scientifically reduced to chemicals in the brain (though drugs tend to have harmful side effects, of course, while music does not... except addiction perhaps ). These chemicals can surely also be released in a dream, but that doesn't mean the subconscious doesn't play a role in providing substance in such instances. For example, if you've ever had a lucid dream (I've only had a few... still practicing) you know you are in a dream, yet you are not always consciously creating your surrounding or what you see. This makes exploration extremely fun (especially when flying). So... I am sure the subconcious can and does create music (from memory's previous musical experiences) in dreams. You may not think it sounds as good in a non-dream instance though. Like in that Seinfeld episode where he writes down a joke from his sleep and when he finally figures out what he wrote the following day, he's like "that's not funny! how did I think this was funny?!"
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Talking Re: It fingers!

Ahhhhh now don't start that phil ... philly ... so .. sophisticalski stuff now and clutter up this tread will knowledgeable jive cosmic debris! Dang dirty varminksk! Then again, I can sneeze your pernt.

Not the nose in the book punishment!
    Yes the nose in the book punishment.

Sorry... just thinkin' out loud...

Dream, dream, dream, dream, -e-e-e-eam...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum