• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Dallas Area Northern Sounds Hang

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OT: Dallas Area Northern Sounds Hang

Hello folks,

Please forgive the OT, but this section of the forum is best suited to response for this topic.

Neotypic and I discussed getting a Dallas Area Northern Sounds hang together...similar to the L.A. version. In order to facilitate this, would Dallas area (or anyone who'd like to come in) community members please provide me with an e-mail address? If you do not desire to place the information here, please send it to me directly: LINK

Please include any kind of regular/standing evening conflict, if you have one, so we can plan around those, when possible.

I hope that we can do this sometime soon.

Re: OT: Dallas Area Northern Sounds Hang

Also, how about a get together at the Texas Music Educators Conference?

Hi Gary,

TMEA would be fun. The one drawback is that you must purchase a yearly membership in TMEA to get in the door. I may come down--I hadn't planned on it, so it will likely depend on getting a hotel room at this late date. They book up like crazy.

PS...I fixed the link above. Apparently the mailto: links are broken in the forum software. They appear to work until you post or preview, then the link breaks.

Just called TMEA to get the scoop on attending.

You can purchase day passes at the convention for $30 per day. Joining TMEA, plus full convention registration, is a total of $120.

The "President's Concert" this year features the Dallas Wind Symphony, by the way. I might have to attend, now that I see this, since I have a bunch of friends in that group, and I feel I owe it to society to try and get them as drunk as possible the night before their concert. One should really never play a tux gig without a hangover.

I'm still trying to get the Eastern Moscow hang happening.

Man, it's tough......

And one day i'm gonna say hello and come and play with you guys.
    So be warned.

Bring Wodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Bring Wodka.
    Wighto old chap......

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Just called TMEA to get the scoop on attending.

You can purchase day passes at the convention for $30 per day. Joining TMEA, plus full convention registration, is a total of $120.

The "President's Concert" this year features the Dallas Wind Symphony, by the way. I might have to attend, now that I see this, since I have a bunch of friends in that group, and I feel I owe it to society to try and get them as drunk as possible the night before their concert. One should really never play a tux gig without a hangover.
    As an exhibitor I can arrange to get guest badges for $30 each. This would include all days at the conference. Membership in TMEA would not be required to get in.

If you are interested please email me at gary@garritan.com and I'll reserve a badge for you.

Look forward to seeing some of you deep in the heart of Texas.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    As an exhibitor I can arrange to get guest badges for $30 each. This would include all days at the conference. Membership in TMEA would not be required to get in.

If you are interested please email me at gary@garritan.com and I'll reserve a badge for you.

Look forward to seeing some of you deep in the heart of Texas.

Gary Garritan
    I can't make it but i thought i'd ask this anyway.
    Do you need a big hat to get in?

For anyone who is interested in attending the TMEA conference...

It's a typical music educators association conference, but is the largest one in the U.S. Band and orchestra instrument manufacturers are always there in full force, so there are lots of instruments to check out and play. Additionally, the larger music publishers have fully-inventoried booths. The exhibition hall is large, and it takes about a day to fully cover it.

San Antonio is a lovely city. TMEA was held in different cities' convention facilities for a number of years, then settled on San Antonio because it is almost always lovely weather at that time. People grumbled in the early 80's, and the convention moved to Fort Worth for a year, but it was an absolutely dismal location compared to San Antonio, and that was the final "move" away from what has become its permanent home.

There is a great riverwalk area about a block from the convention center, with lots of live music and good eating/drinking. Anyone who attended music school in Texas will find that TMEA is a veritable college reunion among those who stayed in the education biz. It usually takes me a few days to recover from the partying!!

If you happen to go, be sure to check out the house band at Dick's Last Resort. They play lots of different stuff, but in particular, they always crank on some Stevie Wonder and Steely Dan tunes, and they have a kickazz rhythm and horn section. Dick's is definitely the most rocking afterparty location, or at least it consistently has been when I've been down. There's a piano bar called Dirty Nelly's that is one of those peanuts-on-the-floor, singalong places, and a club called The Landing which is a Dixieland venue. Those are both a little milder atmosphere.

Mexican food at Mi Tierra is another favorite lunch hang...not on the Riverwalk but not too far a hike. Nice margaritas and good chow--always a crowd.

For history buffs, the Alamo is about two blocks from the convention center (just on the other side of the River), and there are a few other sites of interest in town.

Go Back to forum