• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tascam FW-1804

Tascam FW-1804

Hello everybody. Any experience with this unit? Would you recommend it?

Los Angeles, CA

Re: Tascam FW-1804

My friend has one and he loves it. I've heard the converters are pretty good. And of course, GSIF support.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

I have the 1884 which is pretty much the same, it's been great, onboard firewire on my mobo made it not as reliable as a PCI firewire. But ya it's stable, good control of Sonar and hasn't broke in a year as well it was a demo!

Decatur Illinois

Can anyone report what kind of latency you're getting with this. I have the Tascam US-428 and I like it except that I have like a whopping 46 ms of latency. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Can anyone report what kind of latency you're getting with this. I have the Tascam US-428 and I like it except that I have like a whopping 46 ms of latency. Thoughts?

The US-428 is USB, which I've found, is very hard to get low latency with. The FW-1884 is firewire and I've been getting reliable performance with a setting of 2-3 ms audio latency in the FW-1884 Manager app. This is on a (dare I say dated) dual 1 gig G4 with 2 gigs of RAM.

I'm also using the FW1884. I like the converters and clean pre-amps too. Latency performance is great - In Cubase I get 1.9 ms when using the smallest buffer. Being more realistic I generally go for a 12 ms setting within multitrack sessions.

I have a FW1884 myself and it's great. I don't usually use it with ASIO drivers but am fine with the 12-15 ms latency I usually have it set to. Only thing that keeps me from also picking up an 1804 for laptop use is that it only has 1 pair of audio outs compared to 4 on the 1884. I use those outs on the 1884 for sampler loopback when running concurrent audio apps, like Sonar. That way Sonar can out to Audio 1-2 while GS3 outs to Audio 3-4 which is patched back to a couple inputs. And I often use the other 2 out pairs similarly for GigaPulse audio processing. Which is my only lament with the Tascam family design: there's no patchbay in the Manager App to do this stuff without patch cords... which you can't even do on the 1804 if you only have 1 set of outs.

So I just keep wishing that someday Motu will come out with GSIF2 drivers for the Traveler (does it support gsif-1 like some of the other Muto stuff?). And drooling over the RME FireFace 800. While getting by with a US122 when I don't really need to drag along the 1884.

I own a Tascam 1804 and I LOVE it. Not only do I use it for live gigs without the use for a computer, but then I use it with a dedicated audio computer (using asio driver I get < 20 ms latency and have been able to reliably use it in a mixing and editing environment as low as 5 ms latency without crackles.

I also use it on my laptop and have had phenomenal results and totally acceptable latency, again, using asio (< 15 ms latency with a ads firewire pcmcia card).

I use FL Studio 6 and Sonar 5 Producer in all cases.

Thank you all kindly for the replies. Is anyone taking advantage of the GSIF 2 drivers with GS3 and iMIDI? Is there any other FW unit that is comparable? How does this unit stack up to any RME devices in the same price range (So I am not talking the FW unit RME has)? I like the fact that is is portable to various other PCs and laptops. What FW adapters are you using - which are compatible? ADS, Adaptec, VIA? Would you recommed it or after experience would you prefer another device? Thanks again.

I like mine. It's sounds great although I do run the buffer @ 1024 to avoid crackles & pops on moderate to large VSTi SX3 projects.
    Here's a review from a user.

PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

Go Back to forum