• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: FW-1804

Share/Bookmark

FW-1804

Hello everybody. Any experience with this unit? Would you recommend it?

Re: FW-1804

I've been using the FW1884 for about a year and a half. It has been very reliable for me - perhaps overkill for what I do now, but it is nice to know I have the option to grow if I need to. Good quality converters (Frontier Designs) and drivers have been solid for me under Mac OS 10.3.9 and Logic 7.1.1.

I've also been using the FW1884 for over a year now. It's been solid and has just plain worked as it's suppose to.

It's mostly used as a front end for DP, but I also occasionly use it with Sonar on a laptop too with no problems.

Thanks Symbiotic and Delusion for the replies. Which firewire card are you using? How is the latency? Have you used lightpipe or any syncing?

Quote Originally Posted by Deak
    Thanks Symbiotic and Delusion for the replies. Which firewire card are you using? How is the latency? Have you used lightpipe or any syncing?
    Built in firewire port on G4.

Sync via light pipe & SPDIF to 2 different computers serving as sound modules.

Latency: see my reply to your other post in the sample libraries forum.

Delusion,
    I'm considering a FW-1884 ....Which sequencer program has the best support from the FW-1884 between DP and Logic and Sonar ? ....I'm running DP on a Mac, but have a PC coming and will load it up with Sonar, and since Apple is doing support for Logic, I have contemplated switching from DP to Logic ......Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    Delusion,
    I'm considering a FW-1884 ....Which sequencer program has the best support from the FW-1884 between DP and Logic and Sonar ? ....I'm running DP on a Mac, but have a PC coming and will load it up with Sonar, and since Apple is doing support for Logic, I have contemplated switching from DP to Logic ......Thanks, Jim
    Go to the Tascam website. There you'll find a bunch of drivers that allow the FW1884 to work with almost all major sequencers natively.

I've been using it with DP for a year+ and it's great. I never use Logic.

I've used it for a couple sessions with Pro Tools M-powered as a fader/transport controller via mackie/hui emulation (i forget which one). I've also used it with Live 5 at a friend's studio using the same makie or hui emulation.

Another point I can add, is that I've found the onboard 4x4 MIDI patchbay to be essential for my multi-computer soft synth setup. The lone complaint I have is lack of scribble strips on the unit itself.

Thanks for your reply....I'm liking the fact that it has the 4 midi in's and outs as I use GS3 a lot .....I can't have enough midi for that !!...I have DP on my Mac so it would go to good use here !.....Thanks again....Jim

Thanks all and Delusion I will check out your other reply. Thanks all!

I spoke to Tascam support today (it has taken several calls all week to finally get past their lengthy recorded greeting only to be told in the end that they are busy and that I should call again later). They recommend using the Adaptec 3200 series card. They also said that the Adaptec 4300 series is good too. I asked about the ADS cards. They did not have any experience with those cards.

They also gave some tips on how to plug and unplug the device. They said that you should never plug or unplug the firewire cables when the device is on. They also said you should never unplug the firewire cable or power down the unit while the sequencing software is running or that I would face a possible complete reformat of the PC, fresh OS install and software and driver install.

Other than that they said that they have had great success with the unit.

Go Back to forum