Would like to hire him for a project!

Thanks for any help
    locating this artist.

Paul O

Re: Composer?

I did a quick google search and came up with this (hope it helps):

Gustavo Santaolalla
    Born: 1951, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Background: Highly respected Latino record producer, guitarist, composer and song-writer, whose Surco Records label has one of the most successful and acclaimed roster of rock artists in South America. Began his career playing in Latino bands in his native Argentina, and quickly became one of the key figures in Argentine rock. As the leader of Arco Iris (formed in the late '60s, and still performing today) and Soluna (mid '70s), he was the ultimate mix-master, combining rock, jazz, Latin American folk, and African influences, and as a producer was instrumental in launching the careers of artists such as the rap-rock band Molotov, the crooner Javier García and the Colombian heartthrob Juanes, whose album ‘Un D'A Normal (A Normal Day)’, racked up five Latin Grammy Awards in 2003 and sold more records in the U.S. than any other Spanish-language album that year. Moved to Los Angeles to embark on his composing/producing dual career. Is the favoured composer of acclaimed Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu, having written music for both his international hits, "Amores Perros" (2000) and the Oscar-nominated "21 Grams" (2003), and is currently making in-roads into the Hollywood independent scene following his work on the BAFTA-winning “Motorcycle Diaries” (2004), the critically acclaimed “North Country” (2005) and the Golden Globe-nominated “Brokeback Mountain” (2005)..
    Highlight Scores: Amores Perros, 21 Grams, The Motorcycle Diaries, North Country,
    Brokeback Mountain.
    Awards: Golden Globe for “Brokeback Mountain”. BAFTA for “The Motorcycle Diaries”.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I don't know if it's the case here, but music in film trailers is often borrowed from other sources and not from the actual film's soundtrack. I often hear the exact same music in trailers for several films. But someone here may have heard the trailer and can identify the track...

Dargason is right. Actually, it's rare in a large budget movie to have the same composer for the trailer. The trailer is usually complete and needs music long before the movie actually is. There are composers who specialize in just writing music for trailers. As I understand it, their deadlines are even more insane than the ones they give the film's composer.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Often they'll just clip some music from another film--probably something that the director was using as a temp track while waiting for the original score to be composed.

I've heard the theme from "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" in about 5 movie trailers. It's grand, sweeping, and not so recognizable that everyone would associate it with another movie.

And believe it or not, I remember hearing the "Requiem for a Dream" soundtrack in a Lord of the Rings Trailer. Talk about a two films which wouldn't fall into the same category in any situation I can think of!

The LOTR one might have been a video game trailer, I can't remember.

Christophe Beck's "Follow the Flower" music from Under the Tuscan Sun has been used in several light comedy trailers recently.

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

He sounds like a busy man.

I'll have to give Motorcycle Diaries a good watch/listen. It's been sitting on my Tivo for a couple of weeks now.

Paul, should you find Santaolalla unavailable or outside of your budget, I'd be happy to discuss your project with you (as I'm sure many here would be.)
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum