• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Some More JABB Demos

Share/Bookmark

Re: Some More JABB Demos

Very, very nice! Especially the first and last - the brass kicks butt, and the saxes are mostly very real as well - I find the brass more convincing in most contexts so that's sort of what I would expect. But the 8+5 is just simply convincing - if I wasn't aware I was listening to JABB I would probably never give it a second thought, especially if I were simply driving down the road or listening in the office or background stereo at home, typical non-concert/non-bar music environments.

What I had trouble with was in the Chuck Israels piece, the saxes had a bit of the 'midi organ' effect, which gave away the sample-based nature. I thought having the different saxes was going to help avoid this problem. How did you input the score? Play it in or notation or...?

in any case, this was a very minor issue, and the only reason I'm devoting so much space to it is because the majority of it sounds so really good.

(And also because I just can't stop typing... )
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: Some More JABB Demos

Excellent sounding sections! The only problem I have (and leave it up to being bias) is the drums sound too predictable. OK, don't start throwing mutes ... it's just my own experiences kicking in.
    Aside, very hip!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    The only problem I have (and leave it up to being bias) is the drums sound too predictable.
    You'll have to take that up with the drummers in the reference recordings. All the drum programming was based on what they played. I'll try to get their addresses if you'd like to send them a postcard.

Tom

Cool Re: Some More JABB Demos

Tom, I pray you're not taking my comment the wrong way, sir. The overall demos are great! It's that crazy 70's style of fusion jazz-rock funk polyrhythmic drumming so drilled in my head problem that gets in the way! I'll retract the comment and say that the drum programming was classic of the style.
    As far as contacting the drummers. WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    How did you input the score? Play it in or notation or...?
    The Chuck Israels piece was a little of both - started as midi exported from notation and then the data was massaged and some parts were replayed. The 8brass5saxes piece is a revisit of the original big band demo we released for JABB (the one titled, "GLindsay1"). I took some more time to polish up the editing, use some more sophisticated tools in mixing, and use convolution for the reverb. Greater investment in time gives improved results.

Also, we've stated this elsewhere, but this is perhaps a good place to emphasize that JABB is a little different in intent than most libraries. It is primarily designed as a tool to give composers, educators, and students a reasonable idea of how a chart will sound when put in front of real players, not as a replacement for real players. It is also capable of creating mockups that can be used by a composer to promote and demonstrate compositions. I believe these demos illustrate that the essence of a chart can be communicated quite well using the library. I know I'd have a pretty good idea of what a chart would sound like from demo material like this.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Tom, I pray you're not taking my comment the wrong way, sir.
    Not to worry - I'm not taking your comment the wrong way - I'd just never pass up a chance to give a drummer a hard time. And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the demos. You're up kind of early and I'm up kind of late, wouldn't you say?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Not to worry - I'm not taking your comment the wrong way - I'd just never pass up a chance to give a drummer a hard time. And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the demos. You're up kind of early and I'm up kind of late, wouldn't you say?

Tom
    Oh good, then the drums sounded like marbles randomly falling on a metal trash can during a carnival while a hail storm pelted the top of the big top and the elephants stampede through the side of a freight car!
    Yes, I'm always up this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    ...I believe these demos illustrate that the essence of a chart can be communicated quite well using the library. I know I'd have a pretty good idea of what a chart would sound like from demo material like this.

Tom
    Absolutely - but I also think that with a bit more tweaking, you can produce recordings that will fully convince the audience - especially the brass. Not for exposed solos, but section work - absolutely.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Just plain wow.

Tom, can you enlighten us as to the drum programming? You mentioned that he used a reference track--did he just literally duplicate the drums from a recording? With a keyboard? Drum pad? V-Drums?

chris.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast