• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Talk me into Garritan personal orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Talk me into Garritan personal orchestra

I've been composing for over 10 years. Mostly been doing a cappella choral works and then stuff with piano, organ accompaniment, but have lately jumped into orchestral and LOVE it.

In your mind, what makes Garritan the optimal choice versus other programs out there?

Re: Talk me into Garritan personal orchestra

Three things spring to mind...

Usability, Value for Money, and this Community!

Take a listen to the demos on this forum, and on www.garritan.com
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

The value appears to be really good compared to softwares twice the price. I'm very impressed with the community too. The sharing, the feedback, etc. is great. How did you make the leap though? You probably heard other pieces on their site, but I want to be able to hear one of my pieces before I buy it to compare it to my current set up through my Techniques keyboard. I don't want to be disappointed. Does that make sense?

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Usability, Value for Money, and this Community!
    Bingo...

I bought GPO almost two years ago knowing nothing about the world of "sampling" and very little about real orchestras. I just loved music. GPO has a great price even the high school student I was at the time could afford it. And it is very easy to use. GPO is not a set of 20 GB of pure samples that you have to piece together to create music... I use the Overture 4 notation program with GPO as a VST plugin, and I can load up the instruments I want to use and everything else can be done in the notation program...

As for the sound quality... you can be the judge...

There are many out there who believe the more expensive something is, the more "professional" it must be... This is not the case.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: Talk me into Garritan personal orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by sandswillis
    The value appears to be really good compared to softwares twice the price. I'm very impressed with the community too. The sharing, the feedback, etc. is great. How did you make the leap though? You probably heard other pieces on their site, but I want to be able to hear one of my pieces before I buy it to compare it to my current set up through my Techniques keyboard. I don't want to be disappointed. Does that make sense?

Michelle
    Michelle, beside the price, the true value is the excellent programming that make it easy to make it play real and expressive.

The coherent way of using controllers, you will learn it in fiew moments, and you will enjoy.

talk you into GPO, huh? i gotta better idea...how bout we talk about this in the back room with a few of my favorite uncles...

we might talk you into a coupl'a missin' teeth, eh?

Cool Re: Talk me into Garritan personal orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    talk you into GPO, huh? i gotta better idea...how bout we talk about this in the back room with a few of my favorite uncles...

we might talk you into a coupl'a missin' teeth, eh?

..it seemmse ann offer you cannn't refus'...

Quite a few people think rather highly of GPO... http://garritan.com/endorsements.html

I do, as well.

For me, the acid test is being able to set down with Finale, and... just score. The results I get with GPO are far superior to anything I would have ever imagined or hoped for even a couple of years ago.

By now, I have absolutely no idea what I'd do without it!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Talk? Nah-- you need to be listened in.

Like any instrument GPO does not cure all problems as a library -- but it for price, value, ease of use and community is the best that can be had using the traditional approach rather than compiling sequenced articulations at great expense to ram.

As a composer's tool -- priceless and easy to use.

Now- Go forth and listen to the demos and submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by sandswillis

Michelle
    My two cents
    For me GPO shines for the ability to have actual "individual" players if you want instead of unison ensembles. Meaning if you score for 3 flutes, you can have 3 completely seperate flutes(not the standard method of one patch or unison recorded ensemble). You can build your orchestra from the individual player level and control every nuance of that particular individual from timing/timbre variation/dynamics/articulations/ect.
    Robert Davis

Go Back to forum