• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tascam FW-1884

Share/Bookmark

Tascam FW-1884

For those who use this unit , what sequencer program are you running with it , and are you also running GS3? ....How good is the midi control of the unit ?
    Please add anything else you would like to mention about this unit ....Thanks in advance .....Jim

Re: Tascam FW-1884

Kinda cool as it has the GSIF2 spec, so latency is really low in GS3. Works solid, I have an issue with having to reboot the computer and FW1884 once in a while as it "looses" sync. I leave my computers on all the time though! I am positive though that it's because I use my mobo's onboard firewire controller instead of a PCI card as suggested by Tascam. But she works good with GS3, Sonar and Nuendo 3 reliable and the templates are right on!
    Later
    Brian

I run mine with Nuendo 3.2 - works a dream - no GS though. I only run Kontakt or HALion inside of Nuendo for my sampling needs. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thanks for your replies guys....This is good to know....Sincerely, Jim

Since I recently asked about the FW-1804, which I purchased after all, I want to add another question to this thread (forgive me if this is not the place). Which firewire card are you all using. I have heard recommended the ADS PCI64 card at 400mbps and the Adaptec 3100 (I think that is the correct model) at 400mbps. Any input? Thanks!

I have the FW-1884, which I use with Nuendo 3.2 and Giga 3. I had "losing sync" issues until I switched Mobos, now it is rock solid. I like the FW-1884!

Check out the Tascam forum for more info:

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?showforum=22

My current config is: Asus A8V Deluxe, AMD X2 4400+, 2GB RAM, Matrox Parhelia 128

Jim C,
    What was your old MOBO that cause you to loose sync ?.....Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

My last board was an Asus a7n8x deluxe. I tried so many "fixes" to try and get that board to work with my FW-1884 to no avail. Eventually, it was time for a hardware upgrade, which solved the problem.
    This is definitely "anecdotal" information, as maybe there is someone out there who has that mobo working fine with th FW-1884, but that wasn't my experience, and I had extensive help from Frontier Design to try and solve the problem.

My only gripe now is that I have a surround monitoring system and I can use it in Nuendo (with asio driver) but not to play back commercial or burned DVDs, because the FW-1884 driver doesn't work with WMP or other 3rd party players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    My only gripe now is that I have a surround monitoring system and I can use it in Nuendo (with asio driver) but not to play back commercial or burned DVDs, because the FW-1884 driver doesn't work with WMP or other 3rd party players.
    Hey Jim - I feel your pain. I talked to someone at FD during the NAMM show who said they got a green light to produce x64 drivers and would be looking into other fixes "while they're in the patient". As soon as I got back, I sent a laundry list to TASCAM, FD, and Steinberg in order to try and get them all together - hopefully something good will come out of it.

On the compatibility note - I'm pretty sure that it's the TI (Texas Instruments) FireWire contollers that work best - nearly universal compatibility. So if you're looking for a mobo with the best FireWire option - TI is the thing to look for. On the other hand - I know a guy that never bothers to check and simply drops a TI-based FireWire card on his machine and disabling the on-board unit and has never had an issue through several hardware upgrades.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Hey Houston,

Thanks for talking to the various support guys - the more requests they get, the more likely they are to address our concerns.

Yep, the TI FW cards seem to be the way to go. It didn't work in the asusa7n8x, though...

Funny, but with the new board, I haven't even thought about it - it just works. I'm using the onboard controller, which is - let me just check here- "VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller".

Go Back to forum