• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: H E A D P H O N E - Recommendations O O

Share/Bookmark

H E A D P H O N E - Recommendations O O

I'm looking for some new headphones. Mine are over 15 years old, but I think its time. What would you recommend for a good CLOSED pair of cans? $$$$
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Re: H E A D P H O N E - Recommendations O O

Well, I have been pleased with my Sennheiser 280 pro, except that I hate the coiled cord!! Cost about $250.00, about 2 years ago.

Richard

I've had a pair of AKG K240DF's since about 1997, and I love them. Highly recommended, even after 10 years.

Incidentally, one of the factors that helped convince me to buy them was that I was told they were the headphones Stevie Wonder uses. Who knows if this is actually true, but hey, it was a good purchase anyway.

chris.

NMB,

I've got the Senn HD 280 Pro cans, and recommend them highly. I've had mine a couple of years now, and they're as solid as the day I bought them. They get moderate use, and my kids use them on occassion.

They have reasonable isolation, though it could be better. An important point is that they don't have any obvious resonance, which can actually amplify outside sounds. (I have a cheap pair of cans that amplifies outside mids in the voice range. I tossed 'em!)

Best of all the Senns are quite flat. They're very nice for double-checking a mix. The Sony MDR-7506 are the main competitor. They're definitely brighter than the HD 280s, and would be better for general listening. They present a nice sheen. Some like them for tracking, as they cut through things nicely.

I also listened to some competitive Audio Technicas, but found them to be rolled off on the highs and lows.

I'd buy the Senns again for their flat response at a reasonable price. (Under $99.)

-JF

I've always been happy with AKG's but the Senn's are supposed to be killer. I'd like to try a set. My current pair are the standard $100 AKG studio headphones (I forget the model number). They are terrific for monitoring while tracking and checking for details like pops and breaths. I wouldn't make critical sound decisions with them though.

AKG K240 DF
    not regular K240 model huge difference.
    Excellent! Yes you can mix on these things if you want to.
    Let the bashing begin
    Dan

Thumbs up Re: H E A D P H O N E - Recommendations O O

AKG K240 DF
    I took DPDAN'S recommendation a while back. The AKG K240 DF (geezz, ya think there's enough freakin numbers! ) are sweet! You can hear pretty much every nuance while mixing. Of course, it helps to have ears like DAN to begin with. There're worth every penny! Before, I had a pair of Koss Pro 4AA which were graciously given in replacement by Koss for an old pair I had from the 70's. Although decent, they are heavy, hot, and no where near the AKG. Prior that, I resorted to tying my monitors to my head with duct tape. Talk about heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    I'm looking for some new headphones. Mine are over 15 years old, but I think its time. What would you recommend for a good CLOSED pair of cans? $$$$
    I second the Sennheiser HD280. I prefer open phones myself for comfort, and love the HD580's, but when I gotta keep other noise out, the 280's sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The Sony MDR-7506 are the main competitor. They're definitely brighter than the HD 280s, and would be better for general listening. They present a nice sheen. Some like them for tracking, as they cut through things nicely.
    I've had a pair of MDR-7506 for years. They're okay, although I've always felt that they overemphasize some of the lower frequencies. Certainly usable, but next time I get around to buying toys, they're on my list of things to upgrade. I'd prefer something flatter.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I've been using Sennheiser HD-600's for about 2 years now, and they're the best I've used.

I previously used the AKG 240's, which for the money, $89 at Guitar Center, were the best I'd used up to the point I got the Sennheisers.

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum