• Register
  • Help

Topic: help with gigapulse

Share/Bookmark

help with gigapulse

hi!
    i met a composer in my town, who owns gigastudio3 + vienna symphonic library (complete edition), but he is not so strong in computer music and software.
    he showed me giga3 and we tried, with the help of the manual, to get something from gigapulse, which he neve used before.
    i'd like to ask a simple question: if you have an orhcestra template in gigastudio, for example with 16 instrments loaded (full strings, some brass/wind), what is the best way to use gigapulse? as insert in each channel or as an aux?

if he uses gigapulse as insert, will he have CPU overload?? nevertheless, in this way i think that it is possible to obtain the best from this technology, since you can position every section as you want.

if gigapulse is loaded on aux, it is only possible to "add ambience" to the whole orchestra, is it OK?

thanks, for now!

Re: help with gigapulse

Quote Originally Posted by bosone

if he uses gigapulse as insert, will he have CPU overload??

Yes!!!....If, as you say, he does so on each channel. That's an awful lot of Gigapulse!!

what is the best way to use gigapulse? as insert in each channel or as an aux?
    Try as several auxes: Each channel having its own gigapulse will surely be problematic, but sending the whole orchestra to one aux will not provide the kind of placement options you seem to be interested in. Try grouping your strings and sending them to aux 1, winds to aux 2 etc. You can also try using one for near, one for far, maybe one or more mid-distance instances.
    In my experience, the CPU spikes during really high-polyphony moments, so with 4 instances of Gigapulse running, I'm more likely to encounter clicks and pops, but bringing down the number of Gigapulses (or the polyphony, or both) cuts down on this. If you're only using 16 instruments, you can probably get away with 4 instances (provided you're not doing huge chords with each section, harp glisses, sustained piano etc.). Your computer is probably nicer than mine, too : P4 2.93 Ghz, 1.5 Gigs of RAM.

Belbin
    Last edited by belbin; 02-14-2006 at 09:03 PM. Reason: unclearatizosity

Here's a thread that might help.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29088

-JF

thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by belbin

Try as several auxes: . Try grouping your strings and sending them to aux 1, winds to aux 2 etc. You can also try using one for near, one for far, maybe one or more mid-distance instances.
    i think this is the best idea.
    the aux should be set to wet=100%, right?
    i normally do this in my mixer, even id i don't use gigastudio!

thanks again

i think this is the best idea.
    the aux should be set to wet=100%, right?
    i normally do this in my mixer, even id i don't use gigastudio!

thanks again
    Common wisdom says yes-100% wet with the aux's set to pre-fader....that's for room impulses. For gear emulation impulses, adjust wet/dry, or post fader sends to taste. I think. I haven't checked out the thread Jon recommended, but have a hunch that it's the one about "Best way to route Gigapulse..." or something to that effect. If that's correct, you'll definitely find out more in that thread than I can tell you. And no one else here want's to recreate that thread . It's all in there.

Belbin

Go Back to forum