• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Orch Percussion

Share/Bookmark

Basic Orch Percussion

Just a question about a possible missing instrument.

The manual list the instruments in the "Basic Orch Percussion" group and the midi notes they are found on. It list B5 as being Triangle Long and C6 as being Triangle short. This is also found on the reference sheet that one of the forum members was so kind as to consolidate into colorful easily read sheet.

My problem is the Kontakt player shows notes up to A#5 - Cymbal Roll Crescendo (all in blue from C1 to A#5). However, B5 and C6 are white and NO sound happens when those keys are pressed. Am I missing something? Do I have and older version of the Basic Orch Percussion?

Thanks
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Basic Orch Percussion

I wasn't exactly right in the first post. There is a bass drum hit on B0 and C1 but only the bass drum hit on C1 is listed in the chart. This begs the question are there 2 for different types of hits or is one open and the other choked? It doesn't say.

Rich

Sounds like you're using the Basic Orchestral Percussion Combo in the old DRY folder. Use instead Basic Orchestral Percussion in the "3. Percussion" folder or the "9. Notation | 3. Percussion" folder. These do have the triangle. If you don't know what I am talking about, it's probably because you have not run the version 1.1.8.3 updater.

My guess is, the two bass drum notes are meant to facilitate a tremolo, when played on a MIDI keyboard. It's easier to play them as a trill. They may even be different left/right hand samples to avoid the machinegun effect.

Thanks Nickie,

I have updated but I cleaned out some ot the folders and must have taken out the new version of Basic Orch Perc. and kept the old one . I 'll give it a look.

I hadn't thought of the bass drum roll thing. It makes sense. Thanks on that too!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    I wasn't exactly right in the first post. There is a bass drum hit on B0 and C1 but only the bass drum hit on C1 is listed in the chart. This begs the question are there 2 for different types of hits or is one open and the other choked? It doesn't say.
    The information is included in the update documentation here: http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf

See p. 18, Addendum #1, first item.

Tom

You are right, Tom! I should read the addendum, but I'm still working my way through the first 106 pages of the GPO manual.

Actually, I do remember when I skimmed the addendums. There is so much depth to GPO. And one should always remember to read the manuals before bopping out a question that can be found answered in them.

Thanks for being so polite.

Rich

Go Back to forum