• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Your Recommendations

Share/Bookmark

Your Recommendations

I am still working on web site construction. I am wondering whether to include streaming audio, downloadable mp3, or both. I expect to have adequate space for both.

I can easily create wma streaming audio, and probably Real Audio, but Real Audio is not my first choice.

This presumes that someday my isp can tell me why I am presently unable to upload anything anywhere.

Richard

Re: Your Recommendations

RealAudio is a tool of The Dark One. It's full of spyware and it completely sucks. I would avoid it like the plague. Sorry to hear you're having upload problems!!

I agree, Real Audio is a pain in the butt and it latches onto peoples' system.

I would post your music as both a downloadable mp3 and a streaming mp3.

Streaming mp3s is easy and free. Essentially you create an .m3u (mp3 playlist) which points to your online mp3. It's just a matter of making a text file in notepad which has the link, and giving it an .m3u extension.

When someone clicks on the m3u file on your page, it is downloaded instantly because it is such a small file. The file tells their music software to play this mp3, which is located online instead of on their hard drive.

This is how I do it on my website--check it out if you want to see how it works-- www.uglybassett.com/concertmusic -- I just put the links side by side:
    "Blah Blah Blah, for Bassoon and Hurdy Gurdy" stream | download

Just do a google search on "how to stream mp3" or something, and you'll find sites with step-by-step instructions, which are extremely simple.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I agree, Real Audio is a pain in the butt and it latches onto peoples' system.

I would post your music as both a downloadable mp3 and a streaming mp3.

Streaming mp3s is easy and free. Essentially you create an .m3u (mp3 playlist) which points to your online mp3. It's just a matter of making a text file in notepad which has the link, and giving it an .m3u extension.

chris.
    Yeah, that's one reason I got rid of Real Audio, although with Sonar, I retained the ability to create it.

My anticipated host provided the same info about .m3U, but it seems to be a lot more tedious than coverting 140 or so files in wholesale lots to wma. What do you think of wma?

Richard

But one advantage seems you keep your material out of other people's computers. There are ways around that with people using 'Record what you hear' features but most folks probably won't go that far.

M3u let's folks sample but not take.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

I'm interested in this topic as well, mainly as a way to keep people from having a file I don't want to hand out.

I tried the m3u extension as described here, and it works. The only problem I've seen is that if I right click on the title in Windows Media Player, and choose "Properties," the URL of the file is displayed, so unless you further obscure the source, can't people just then type in the direct URL and download?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    The only problem I've seen is that if I right click on the title in Windows Media Player, and choose "Properties," the URL of the file is displayed, so unless you further obscure the source, can't people just then type in the direct URL and download?
    Yes they certainly can...

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I'm interested in this topic as well, mainly as a way to keep people from having a file I don't want to hand out.

I tried the m3u extension as described here, and it works. The only problem I've seen is that if I right click on the title in Windows Media Player, and choose "Properties," the URL of the file is displayed, so unless you further obscure the source, can't people just then type in the direct URL and download?
    I just got this information today. Perhaps it will help.

>

1. Upload your MP3 to your server

2. Open notepad. write the entire url of the mp3: ie: http://www.myserver.com/mp3s/mysong.mp3 (obviously the full real url of your mp3)

3. Do a 'save as' and call it something but add .m3u on the end of it. eg: mysong.m3u

4. Upload this .m3u file to your server too.

5. This acts as a pointer to your mp3 file and the m3u extension tells it to stream. So in your page you just link to the .m3u file. When people click your link it goes to the m3u which auto redirects and streams the MP3 you pointed it to, in the default player of the users operating system. In my case, realplayer.

The beauty of this is that as the URL is contained in the notepad document no-one can see where the MP3s are to download them.
    <

Looks good, but I won't be able to try it for a while. Just got my upload function back. Problem was at my ISP, who provided me with a backdoor phone number to work with. My problem is solved, but he has to troubleshoot his system.

Richard

Richard,

This is the method we were discussing. It's very easy to see the URL of the original file. For example, one can simply right-click on the m3u file, and open it in a text-editor to see what the URL is. Another way is to get the properties of the file from within Windows Media Player, which shows exactly where the URL is.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but there really is no way to "protect" a file if you are offering it to the user.

Well, I guess one could say that RealAudio protects it by making it sound horrid...

But the whole "streaming" mp3 thing provides no protection that I know of. Is there really anyone left who doesn't know that you can get the address of the file from the link? If there was, there aren't now.

Even flash, which purports to protect content, doesn't. There are programs out there that will let you pipe audio or video from one application to another, say a recorder!!!

And if you don't mind doing a little digging, every flash animation or video leaves a big fat file in the browser cache. The frightening truth is that if your computer plays it it downloaded it.

Now someone PLEASE tell me I'm wrong, since in this case I'd love to be!

Go Back to forum