• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigasampler 2.0

Share/Bookmark

Gigasampler 2.0

Hi,
    This is a message to Dave, at Nemesys.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My band, who shall remain nameless(!) are looking to get a new sampler. I am currently using GS, but other members of the band have told me that they want to get an Akai s6000. Now, you may be wondering why I am bringing this up, but basically, I am trying to convince them that a much wiser move would be for me to build another dedicated PC, with gigasampler, and say, 3 external fx units rigged permanently to the outputs of a Gina. (to me this is an incredibly flexible setup).

By my calculations, this is still significantly cheaper than an Akai sampler, and I personally think working with giga on the PC is quicker and more reliable than getting trapped into a Hardware solution which cannot be upgraded.

My problem is this, the other members of the band like the sound of Gigasampler, but, they don\'t like the editor interface. To put you in the picture, it\'s ME that is the techno-wizard in the band, so using something like GSedit, although I am irritated by things about the interface, I can still pretty quickly set up sounds the way I want them. Unfortunately, the others find it a bit unfriendly, and this is where I\'m getting to the point (!) -

- Can I convince them by telling them that we should build a sampler-PC and get GS 1.6 for now, and that GS 2.0 when it does come out, will be an improved editor? I mean, will it just look the same, with a few added click boxes, or are you going to re-haul the interface to be much improved, in keeping with much of the suggestion that has appeared on the Wishlist page? I really hope so.

I know you\'re busy so thanks in advance if you find the time to read this.

Regards,

Bob

p.s. Have you heard of anyone using macro programs in windows to automate common tasks in the editor? I am routinely using a program (Ghostmouse) to repeat whole .gig settings and setups with simple hot-key macros. Works a treat!

Re: Gigasampler 2.0

Bob,

Dave is out,and I didn\'t want to leave you hanging.

To answer your questions, yes the GS Editor UI is going to be improved, based on the suggestions in the wishlist. We are trying to maintain a look and feel so experienced users do not have to learn a new product, while adding features that allow you to more easily build instruments. The users group is regularly visited by us at NemeSys, and we do look at the comments/suggetions/complaints concerning our products. Thanks for the input.

Joe (NemeSys)

Thanks Joe,
    I\'m gonna show the others your message, and hopefully that\'ll convince them that we\'re right to stick with Gigasampler. I think so anyway.

Cheers,

Bob

The Akai s6000 has a reputation of being totally unstable at this point.

yes, and the S5000 which I sold because of it\'s instability. Although by this point Akai may have gotten the operating system right.
    However, I vote for GS. You may have to be willing to work a little harder for what you want, but, my God, you can load Gigabytes of samples --and for orchestral and soundtrack scoring that is INVALUABLE. I use GS with a 20 Gigabyte Maxtor (very quiet 7200 drive) and seems to work perfectly. The only timing problems I have experienced are when I first fire up a sequence (after computers having been turned off). It takes GS one time through (in which there are some small timing errors) but on the second and every subsequent time through (and I\'m talking 10 hour days) GS works great, just like a hardware sampler. Even starting in the middles of notes and all this complicated arrangements and what not. I mean I throw everything at it (compositionally) that I can with up to 64 tracks, plenty of times 30 playing at once. So I like it. Good job, Nemesys. And it sounds fine.

HEY MAHLON, IM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT ELSE YOUR SYSTEM CONSISTS OF IN TERMS OF PROCESSOR, MOTHERBOARD, SEQUENCER, SOUNDCARD, ETC. I AM TAKING MY TIME AND DOING MY RESEARCH SO THAT WHEN I AM DONE MY SYSTEM WILL SATISFY ALL OF MY NEEDS. THAT IS WHY I\'M BEING SO NOSEY (SMILE).

<<a much wiser move would be for me to build another dedicated PC, with gigasampler, and say, 3 external fx units rigged permanently to the outputs of a Gina. (to me this is an incredibly flexible setup).>>

Even wiser.....get a Mixtreme and do all of your fx processing right inside the computer. When you factor in the price of the 3 outboard units you\'ll have some money to play with for the additional fx plug-ins and analog output option that you\'ll need.

Go Back to forum