• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: did i make a mistake in getting the strad?

Share/Bookmark

did i make a mistake in getting the strad?

Hi all i am wondeing if i made a mistake in buying the strad solo . The reason i ask this it for one simple reason. I dont have an expression peddal and have no way to hook one up even if i did. I thoguht that i could use it with out one. but i have tried everything. No matter what i do the volume and sound are horrible. I mean really bad. Let me explain the the plucking sounds great very good and the notes that i play where i just play a single note hard sound good, but if i hold that note it sounds very tiny ans shrill and you can here "noise" so i am wonding if i had the expression pedal and was able to use it maybe that is the problem, and i cant raise the volume as i play and that is why i here the noise and why it sounds so horrible. this is not an attack on the product in anyway. When i hit the stuff hard i can hear how well it is for a sec anyways and the plucking is good also. I even got some solo violion midi files and tried playing those and having play back through k2 and using just the solo violin of the midi file and nothign else, i coudl see in that instance that the mod wheel was moving as i had the keyboard view enabled in k2 but the soudn again was horrible, very shrill and tinny and lots of noise. So i dont know how to get around this. I guess this is more of a call for help then anythign else i hope i did not waste money i somthign i cant use, but i thought at least playing a midi file woudl have worked , i even used the new midi that was just put from from the gpo concert and just used the solo violon as i know he made that midi correct, and again teh mod whell moved on the display so that was good, but the soudn was not there, only when i firist hit the note HARD its there but then it is very quiet and the awful sound come through, again this is not an attack at all but i guess i need some help. I cant attach an expresion pedal i have not the greates keyboard but it gets the job done, this is the first product i have had where i have an issue with it. thanks in advance everybody for you helpas i know how nice you guys are.

Re: did i make a mistake in getting the strad?

Well, if you want to use Garritan Stradivari Violin, you'll have to buy a MIDI controller that can accept an expression pedal. Then you'll have to buy an expression pedal, and hook them together.

For instance, the M-Audio Keystation 88es costs $200.
    An M-Audio expression pedal costs $30.

There are many other inexpensive controllers on the market. You just have to make sure that the product description indicates that it can accept an expression pedal.

Wlahc1,

Was the violin correctly installed?

Please download Stefano's demo midi file from this site:

http://www.garritan.com/Strad/Strad-byStefano.mid

Use it to check if everything works properly. You should not hear horrible noises, but a very nice piece of music.

Giorgio

Thumbs up Re: did i make a mistake in getting the strad?

I would tend to lean toward updating your keyboard controller to one that accepts an expression pedal as well as other controllers (sliders, knobs, and buttons). Advancements in sampling development has grown to a position where one cannot ignore upgrading to a newer controller. Edirol PCR's can be found quite inexpensive on ebay and through other sale options.
    I’ve heard the SSV demos and strongly believe you would benefit exceptionally from a new keyboard controller.
    Good luck and enjoy!

Do you want to use the Strad primarily as a performable instrument, or are you using a sequencer and want to create realistic realizations?

I don't have an expression pedal either, though I'll eventually get one (or two). For now, I've been using the Strad in Sonar, and drawing in the controller messages. I do this usually with the mod wheel in GPO as well, since I get fairly anal about the values, and don't mind spending extra time to do it.

The description you gave for the sound you hear on the strad sounds to me like the sound when cc#11 (dynamics) is at zero, but the volume is increased until you can hear lots of bow noise. Contrary to the way the mod wheel works in GPO, it is used for vibrato depth in the Strad. This means that a MIDI file optimized for a GPO violin will sound very different with the Strad. If you remap all the cc#1 values to cc#11, you will be closer.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Check this out it may be a solution for you.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=l&ai=Be...om/prodped.htm

As Giorgio mentioned, this very much sounds like a problem with your installation or configuration. Do the other samples in your K2 environment play properly? If not, I'd investigate the K2 installation. If it's only the Strad, then I'd follow through with troubleshooting the installation of the Strad library.

Keyboard controllers, etc. are a completely separate issue. Once K2 & Strad are properly installed and configured, anything you can do with a controller can also be done with your sequencer. Personally, I'm a guitarist with embarrassingly limited keyboard chops. Consequently, I use Sonar's Staff and Event views to enter and tweak anything I do with sample libraries. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that no matter how good you are on the keyboards, sooner or later you'll be going into your sequencer to tweak things and get it just the way you want it. Nonetheless, if you have keyboard chops, you'll find it easier to play and record the MIDI rather than writing it by hand as I do, but until that time, you still have no limitations. The Strad, and all of Gary's libraries, can be 100% controlled via your sequencer alone.

By the way, and I mean this in a friendly and good natured way, if you could break your longer posts into a few separate paragraphs it would make it much easier for folks to help you. As one continuous block of text, it's more difficult to follow and makes it harder for people to understand where you're having problems in order to help you. Just a suggestion, for what it's worth.

Hope this helps!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

wlahc1,

One of the issues at hand here is that the Solo Strad in fact will *not* like a standard MIDI file very much. It requires the use of extra controllers to bring it alive. As Giorgio indicates, try to play Stefano's demo file, which has all of these controllers in use. This will give you a good indication whether your setup is correct.

If this still doesn't work for you, please try to record the output of your Strad session so that we can help try to determine what issues you might be having from how it sounds.

Yes, lack of controller options might be a hurdle in trying to play live, but you should still be able to write parts for playback just fine, providing the appropriate control messages by hand in your sequencer.

I don't have a pedal myself, but I have three sliders on my keyboard for Mod Wheel, Aftertouch, and Expression. One hand really can't control all of those at once, so I'm not going to perform live any time soon! But it's enough to at least get me a beautiful sound, and I think we can get you there too.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by wlahc1
    ...Let me explain the the plucking sounds great very good and the notes that i play where i just play a single note hard sound good, but if i hold that note it sounds very tiny ans shrill and you can here "noise"... When i hit the stuff hard i can hear how well it is for a sec anyways and the plucking is good also. ... only when i firist hit the note HARD its there but then it is very quiet and the awful sound come through
    Being able to hear good sound for a second and then bad sound seems to be more of a playback problem from your hard-drive. The first few seconds of the sound is loaded into RAM and then the hard drive plays the rest of the sample. This gives you access to huge libraries while economizing your RAM. If the other things suggested here don't seem to make a difference, and even Stefano's midi sounds lousy, you may think of updating your computer. Or at least that drive.

Good Luck!
    Scott
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Strad is a great product, if you play your instrument and don't just type notes into a notation progam. It's a live performance tool, and must have its control info. If you can wait, I'd recommend the brand-new (about to be released) MAudio Axion: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom61-main.html

I got to play one at NAMM and it feels good, has all the control surfaces you'll need including sustain and expression pedals and mod wheel, and the 61-note version is $379 list.

And for the cool factor, eight drum pad style controllers...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum