• Register
  • Help

Topic: Btw, this is off topic.. Mixing voice over soundtrack - Tips?

Share/Bookmark

Question Btw, this is off topic.. Mixing voice over soundtrack - Tips?

Hello everybody.

I feel this site is like having a ticket into the masters secret (not bedrooms) minds. It really is an honour..

I´m going to start a project, dont know an english word for it. It´s a non profit thing. There will be a voice telling a story, background music (like a movie score) and maybe some sfx.

I´m curious how to get a good balance between the voice and the soundtrack. In dramatic sections, I feel I really want dramatic music etc... Do I have to think about the mixing issue (not have too aggressive, percussive music together with the voice) when composing?

What about ducking? (Is that the word?) I mean using a compressor for the music that reacts on the voice so the musics volume turns down whenever the voice speaks. How do the movie mixing producers think? (I know, this is not a movie but anyway!)

So the question is really: Do I start "mixing" even when I´m composing, or is it something I do when testing the score together with the voice? Would it be best if I somehow adjusted the score so that whenever the voice comes, I compose a less harsh theme, and when the voice is silent the orchestra can go back to real business again?

Would really appreciate some advice, since I´m a composer guy trying to learn a bit about mixing!

Also if you can recommend any music production with narrator that could be educative for me, I would really be happy. If it´s free to download from the net would be great!

Thanx,

/Johnny
    Last edited by drjohnny79; 02-15-2006 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Didnt get any replies with the last version!

Re: Btw, this is off topic.. Mixing voice over soundtrack - Tips?

I found this, might be helpful to other people too:

http://www.soundofmusic.se/products/educationsamples.htm

The english is not excellent, but hey it´s for free.

Re: Btw, this is off topic.. Mixing voice over soundtrack - Tips?

All your ideas are fine . Just do it, use your ears, and learn as you go :-)

Nigel

Go Back to forum