• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Theme from Peter Gunn, Take 2

Share/Bookmark

Theme from Peter Gunn, Take 2

Thanks to all the good feedback from this forum, I have rerecorded the Peter Gunn theme, tightened everything up, and made the horns sound a lot more dynamic. This is really the sound I was going for. Please don't expect to hear the Mancini version- this is just supposed to be a surf band sound with a few horns- not a fully orchestrated piece. All the horns are JABB.

www.raylindsley.com/Peter_Gunn.mp3

Re: Theme from Peter Gunn, Take 2

Ehhhhhh shoot! I thought I would hear something cool this morning. Damn school blocks everything!
    Oh well, try later at home. Sorry Ray.

Wow, that's really a different critter than the first version. In your initial take, I was distracted by the "organ effect" on the horns, but on this version it sounds like a horn section. I'd be very interested in what techniques you used to address that particular issue since you did such a nice job of it.

Great stuff, man. Of course, after all that whammy bar stuff, I suspect it's now time to tune that Strat...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thanks,

I think what made the most difference was adding some vibrato on the sustained notes, as well as a small amount of "growl" to the saxophones. I had the notes start out with a small amount and had it build to a peak at the termination of the note (I did the same for the growl on the saxes). I also had the vibrato speed increase slightly during the note. I also added a few doits and falloffs to the trumpet.

This just goes to show that working and experimenting with these horns can make a huge difference in the result. The potential is definitely there, it's just a matter of learning how to work with it.

Next I'm going to redo the horns in Sing, Sing, Sing.

Using the whammy on the strat is always a tuning challenge, even though I have locking tuners. When I play blues a really crank down the springs to keep it in tune when bending, but I've got to loosen them up for surf guitar so I can whammy.

Looking forward to hearing the rework of Sing, Sing, Sing - it's one of my all time favorites! In fact, since I'm not a jazz guy, my highest hopes for this lib involve the ability to do convincing big band arrangements. From what I've heard on the rework of Peter Gunn, I'm greatly encouraged. There's certainly a lot of horsepower here.

I had the locking system on my Strats back when I was doing a lot of Van Halen & such on gigs, and they're a huge improvement. Eventually, though, I replaced it with a stop tailpiece on my G&L. On my Strat, I leave the arm off and have put all 5 springs back in (used to run 3). Since I'm not doing much dive bombing these days, figured there was no point in having the tuning vulnerabilities. Nice to have options, though!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Good job, Ray. Would you care to share the MIDI file for that? Or, if done in Sonar, the Sonar project file? I'd like to see the work you did with the horns more specifically.

Best,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

That's quite a boost in realism!

Now it's the guitar itself that needs work. Here are a few different versions of the theme, tabified in F:

Code:
    Easy way:
    --------------1-0-
    -1-1-3-1-4-1-----
    Code:
    More-minor version (I played a rockish arrangement like this in HS):
    --------------1---
    -1-1-3-1-4-1---4-
    Code:
    Probably closer to canonical:
    --------------1-0-
    -1-1-3-1-45-1-----

The "45" is a little slide from fret 4 to 5, so it's not equivalent to
    playing the 5 as 0 on the A string.
    I hope I'm not too presumptuous in pointing this out: I just have a love for this song and think you're onto something very cool.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    That's quite a boost in realism!

Now it's the guitar itself that needs work. Here are a few different versions of the theme, tabified in F:

Code:
    Easy way:
    --------------1-0-
    -1-1-3-1-4-1-----
    Code:
    More-minor version (I played a rockish arrangement like this in HS):
    --------------1---
    -1-1-3-1-4-1---4-
    Code:
    Probably closer to canonical:
    --------------1-0-
    -1-1-3-1-45-1-----

The "45" is a little slide from fret 4 to 5, so it's not equivalent to
    playing the 5 as 0 on the A string.
    I hope I'm not too presumptuous in pointing this out: I just have a love for this song and think you're onto something very cool.

- m
    I played it the way Duane Eddy played it (unless the transcription I got was wrong, but it sounds right to me). Are you saying it gets monotinous because the riff never changes? It might be cool to add some variation though- I'll play around with your suggestions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Good job, Ray. Would you care to share the MIDI file for that? Or, if done in Sonar, the Sonar project file? I'd like to see the work you did with the horns more specifically.

Best,
    Shaz
    It was done in Cubase, but I'd be happy to share the midi file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lindsley
    It was done in Cubase, but I'd be happy to share the midi file.
    I'll pt it on my website and post a link.

Go Back to forum