• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nine Volt Audio - Legal Question

Share/Bookmark

Nine Volt Audio - Legal Question

I checked out the demos from Nine Volt Audio's guitar libs recently and wanted to try them out, so I threw together a 2 minute cue that uses 2 of the loops as the main driving theme of the piece, with strings, drums, piano and bass added throughout. One of the 2 loops I used exists unaccompanied for 1 bar as an intro. The rest of the time it is in a mix, though prominent as the theme.

This cue was intended to be used in a music library. The producer liked the tune and wants to use it, but he was unsure that it was legal to use the loops so prominently in the piece, because it would be in a library with the intention to be reliscensed.

Now, I'm not the "string together loops" sort of composer, but I like to have fun with loops from time to time, and the tune is appropriate for the library. The Nine-Volt libs are really useful, and I feel I used them as they were intended.

Am I missing something? I'm thinking twice about buying the libs based on what the producer said. He asked me to recreate a "similar" loop using real guitar. That seems kinda silly. I don't mind using the loops as I've done, but I do mind "stealing" the idea of a loop. I don't feel comfortable with that.

Re: Nine Volt Audio - Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    I checked out the demos from Nine Volt Audio's guitar libs recently and wanted to try them out, so I threw together a 2 minute cue that uses 2 of the loops as the main driving theme of the piece, with strings, drums, piano and bass added throughout. One of the 2 loops I used exists unaccompanied for 1 bar as an intro. The rest of the time it is in a mix, though prominent as the theme.

This cue was intended to be used in a music library. The producer liked the tune and wants to use it, but he was unsure that it was legal to use the loops so prominently in the piece, because it would be in a library with the intention to be reliscensed.

Now, I'm not the "string together loops" sort of composer, but I like to have fun with loops from time to time, and the tune is appropriate for the library. The Nine-Volt libs are really useful, and I feel I used them as they were intended.

Am I missing something? I'm thinking twice about buying the libs based on what the producer said. He asked me to recreate a "similar" loop using real guitar. That seems kinda silly. I don't mind using the loops as I've done, but I do mind "stealing" the idea of a loop. I don't feel comfortable with that.
    Most probably you're not allowed to use the loops even if you'd buy the
    library.
    But why don't you ask the Nine-Volts guy directly?

Tom

Hello!
    It's no problem to use the loops as you described. In most cases, as long as you're not using the loops to create your own commercially available loop library, you're fine.
    Now please, go and make some $$$ with Nine Volt loops! :-)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com

Thanks Tom, Kyle for replying. Nice lib Kyle .. I'll do that!

Andy

hats off to you Kyle for that answer

what a fresh approach ... maybe more developers will follow your example

here's to nine volt audio !

Go Back to forum