• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Money really doesn't buy happiness, study finds

Share/Bookmark

Money really doesn't buy happiness, study finds

According to a report by Breitbart.com money doesn't buy happiness, and now there's a study to prove it.

"Australian researchers found that people in well-off Sydney are among the most miserable in the country, while those in some of the poorest areas are much more satisfied with their lives.

"Only at very, very high levels does money actually have any impact to act as a buffer," said Deakin University researcher Liz Eckerman.

"Money doesn't actually buy happiness and that's what was shown very clearly for the nearly 23,000 people we've interviewed so far," she told ABC radio.

The findings, collated since 2001, show that while there are no extremes of well-being in Australia, the happiest areas had a lower population, more people aged 55 or over, more women, more married people and less income inequality.

The survey assessed a person's satisfaction with their standard of living, health, relationships, life achievement, safety, community connection and future security.

Robert Cummins, a professor of psychology at Deakin who compiled the survey's scorecard, put the difference down to the higher cost of housing and high population density in cities...Of the 150 national electorates surveyed, one of the nation's poorest, Wide Bay in rural Queensland, was among the happiest. "

There's many good things money cannot buy...like love, integrity, peace, friends and happiness too.

Re: Money really doesn't buy happiness, study finds

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "Only at very, very high levels does money actually have any impact to act as a buffer,"

I was worried at first, but there is still something to shoot for...

It's true though, money just buys "stuff" and the desire to get more "stuff."

"Money doesn't buy happiness... but it does buy you a big yacht that sails right up next to it." -- David Lee Roth

I always thought that was something rich people say to poor people to make them feel less jealous

No, but seriously, money and material items only offer temporary happiness... sooner or later it fades and you want something else, and then the only way to stay happy is to keep getting more and more... Unhappiness does not come from not having, but from wanting. Still, I want GPOA...

Actually if you did another study you'd probably find GPO, this forum, and Styxx increase happiness a lot
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Money really doesn't buy happiness, study finds

Money really doesn't buy happiness
    No, but STYXX DOES!

By the way, did ya ever notice the people who do these studies have great positions in life?

"Money don't get everything that's true! What it don't get I can use! Now give me money ..."

NOTICE:

As a public service, if there is anyone here who has too much money that is not making them happy?

I will hunker down, bite the bullet, and take it off your hands for you.

It'd be a real hardship, but hey, for you guys... I'll suffer through it, somehow.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    NOTICE:

As a public service, if there is anyone here who has too much money that is not making them happy?

It'd be a real hardship, but hey, for you guys... I'll suffer through it, somehow.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hey Muggsie.
    Yeah boss?
    Da guy wants R money.
    He does boss? What 'll we do wit 'em?
    Trow him down the stairs da big bundle with you know who ...
    Yeah sure boss ... anyting you say!
    Muggsie you stupid!
    Wha, wha happen boss?
    You stupid! I told ya trow 'em the big bundle not the money ya stupid!
    Ah, gee boss ... I must of missundertoodja!
    Miss ... I'll give ya miss ...
    No no boss not my bundle?
    Ehhhh shut up and get owt da way!
    Here ya go David ... Muggsies haifff!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    NOTICE:

HA!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

You know what? Money DOES buy you happiness. Obviously it doesn't make someone happy who is determined to be miserable, but money can free you from stress- the stress of not knowing if you'll be eating, have a roof over your head, support a family, have medical care, have tools to do your job- lots of things. It may be possible to be very poor and happy, but it's hard and you still have to have the necessities covered. Lack of stress = happy. And if it's not true why does that guy come on TV all the time asking me to spare just a few cents a day to help some poor child in another part of the world?? Money is sure as hell gonna make THEM happy. And the last time I looked, Bill Gates was a big old smiling happy f%#k.

Well, one can control stress... and happiness does not have to be linked to wordly suffering...

The TV commercials that ask for money aren't to make the children and their families happier, but healthier.

Then again, I don't think money or being happy are the most important things in life. I believe you can truly choose to be happy, even if you're dirt poor and have no idea what you're going to eat for dinner. But there's something more one should be striving for in life rather than just the human emotion of happiness... but I'll leave it at that.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum