• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: best multichannel MIDI interface for low latency input

Share/Bookmark

OT: best multichannel MIDI interface for low latency input

I'm in need of a new MIDI interface for my studio. I have multiple MIDI controllers/keyboards that I want to be able to use simultaneously with as little latency as possible. I need about 5 MIDI in ports. The outports are of minor importance as I mainly use VI's. Does anyone have recommendations for me?

I'm currently looking at the MOTU micro lite and the M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 or 8x8..

Thanks,

Roy

Re: OT: best multichannel MIDI interface for low latency input

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    I'm in need of a new MIDI interface for my studio. I have multiple MIDI controllers/keyboards that I want to be able to use simultaneously with as little latency as possible. I need about 5 MIDI in ports. The outports are of minor importance as I mainly use VI's. Does anyone have recommendations for me?

I'm currently looking at the MOTU micro lite and the M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 or 8x8..

Thanks,

Roy
    MidiSports have caused problems for many users. If you go this route make sure that you can return it if there are problems.

D

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I had nightmares with the M-Audio drivers, and when I called for tech support, I gave them the exact recipe for the disastrous results. They had the gall to tell me I had interrupt conflicts (with USB).

I pressed him, asking him why I could use an E-Magic MT4 perfectly on the same machine, on the same USB channel, and wondered how an interrupt conflict could possibly be the issue.

He hung up with, "I'm sorry, sir. Something is wrong with your computer. I cannot help you with this. Our drivers work. It's not our driver."

I asked him why the issues I was having seemed to mirror the exact same issues I had read many other people reporting. He suggested reformatting my drive, and reinstalling the OS and all my software. Needless to say, I just went to GC and got another MT-4, and was done with it.

So, yes, I would take extreme caution with the MidiSport drivers. They do not play well in many configurations...I have seen this situation documented many times over, always with similar tales of the tech support experience. The drivers for these devices are quite old, are widely regarded as problematic, and at present, do not seem to be kept current. I could certainly see other users having better experiences if the drivers happen to play well with their particular setups, but my experience with the MidiSport was quite unworkable, and the support experience I had led me to believe that there was not a great deal of interest in helping me out.

I use the MOTU mico lite(5x5) whit great result, not one problem but i will soon change for MOL caus i need more port and it's cheaper. You get 16x16 for 4 PCs for $200.

Make sure you have a good return policy with WHATEVER interface you decide to go with ... More and more companies are under the gun to bring products to the market , and we the public are left being BETA testers for this gear .... I have yet to find ANY new products that come out without a hitch..
    The so called tech support from these companies seem to have the same responce as what Bruce has said ....NONE of them will take responcibility for bad drivers...They will alway's blame you or your computer for the error ...This is not only MAudio , but other companies as well ....WHY ???.....Because we allow it to happen ..We buy into this .... I have learned from many of my mistakes, and the most important thing I have learned is to let someone else do the beta ... I'm not on the cutting line of technology any more , but at least I can still get things done... Sorry for the rant, but this thread just hit a soft spot with me ...I feel better now ... .......Jim

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll go with the MOTU mico lite. There don't seem to be many alternatives when it comes to multichannel MIDI interfaces..

I've got Edirol's UM-880, it's a very solid 8x8 interface. I don't think they make it anymore, but you may be able to pick one up used for cheap.

Edit: $150 on closeout over at Zzounds.

Go Back to forum