• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Steinway - latency problems

Share/Bookmark

GPO Steinway - latency problems

I use a Yamaha Clavinova to record my playing vis Cubasis VST4 (bundled) and GPO Steinway. The Sound Card is EMU 0404 digital audio system. When recording the slight time lag I hear through the speakers is problematic in killing spontaneity, due to the relatively slow feedback to the ear when a note is struck. Also I note that occasionally chords are sometimes split, i.e. all notes not perfectly synchronised, an effect I don't get with the Clavinova by itself or other pianos. I'm not sure if all this is caused by using the Clavinova to drive GPO, the sound card or some other factor, and would welcome any feedback from anyone who has experienced this. Until I solve this I can't unfortunately use GPO Steinway.

Re: GPO Steinway - latency problems

Try lowering the buffer settings on your EMU sound card. This should reduce latency and give you better response. Alsom it could be the drivers you selcted as well (ASIO 2.0, WDM/MME/DirectSound Drivers). Cubasis may work better with ASIO and try the different drivers to see if you get better response.

Gary Garritan

What latency setting are you using for GPO? When I am using only the Steinway I use 7ms with quite good results. But I think you can get by with 15 - 20 ms latency before you find the delay resembling a pipe organ in a large church. My keyboard is Fatar Studio controlller.

Richard

Do not use MME or Direct Sound drivers. Only ASIO and WDM will give you low latency performance. As Gary said, ASIO 2 is probably the choice for Cubasis. How low you can set the buffers depends on how well the drivers are written and how fast your computer is. Only experimenting will answer the question. If your computer is faster than 2.4Ghz you should be able to lower the buffer settings for better than 12ms performance.

Tom

Question Re: GPO Steinway - latency problems

Thanks all for replies. I checked my settings and found that although the drivers were in fact ASIO, the latency was set too high, so I changed it down to 4. I tried 2, but this produced some distortion. However 4 works well and I am getting a more immediate response.
    This improves matters a lot, however I find it hard to control tonal gradations when using the Clavinova with GPO Steinway, for example, in a left hand pattern with a cantabile melody in right hand. The left hand notes tend to sound too loud and stand out too much , which can make the playing sound rather insensitive. In contrast, I don't have the same balance problem when playing on the Clavinova while using its own built-in sounds. So a classical piece like Chopin's Nocturne in Eb op. 9 tends to emerge with a left hand accompaniment that sounds somewhat plodding despite my best efforts.
    I wonder if there is any other setting that needs to be tweaked?
    Or is there a keyboard that might work better? Any help/comments are appreciated.

Does your Clavinova have a choice of velocity curves? Having various curves from which to choose can improve the odds of your getting the feel you would like. The internal Clavinova sounds were created to match their keyboard's velocity performance. There are many controller keyboards with velocity curve choices but I'll need to let others make specific suggestions.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Does your Clavinova have a choice of velocity curves? Having various curves from which to choose can improve the odds of your getting the feel you would like. The internal Clavinova sounds were created to match their keyboard's velocity performance. There are many controller keyboards with velocity curve choices but I'll need to let others make specific suggestions.

Tom
    Thanks for the help Tom, I'll see if I can investigate this point further.

Re velocity curves, I checked the Yamaha Clavinova (model CLP 930) manual, and can find no reference to velocity curves - so am no wiser as to whether these can be changed (?). I checked Yamaha website, where the manual is on-line at
    http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...la/CLP950E.pdf
    I wonder if any other Clavinova/GPO users have had any similar problems re GPO Steinway.
    If so, I would appreciate any feedback.

Go Back to forum