• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics are great!.. One dilemma though?

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics are great!.. One dilemma though?

I'm working on "bass trapping" my studio. Now that I have things a bit more under control I notice that StylusRMX, and especially Trilogy, still put out a great deal of low frequency energy. Would anyone mind offering a few tips on harnessing these beasts! Maybe a hi-pass filtering suggestion or two?

Thanks!

Re: Spectrasonics are great!.. One dilemma though?

Your standard EQ should be more than up to the task. Either a low-cut/low-shelf or high-pass mode should work well. In the case of more complex sounds, like many of the sounds in Stylus RMX, you can try using different compression settings on the bass vs. other frequencies using a multi-band compressor or a make-shift emulation thereof. Here is one way to do the latter.

1) Take the original signal and split it. This can be done in several ways, for instance by sending the signal to two busses or auxes, one set to high-pass (or the variation thereof) at your chosen frequency and the other set to low-pass (or the variation thereof).

2) You can now apply different compression settings to the low-end material and then put in another EQ afterwards to correct the sound if neccesary.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmpsr
    I'm working on "bass trapping" my studio. Now that I have things a bit more under control I notice that StylusRMX, and especially Trilogy, still put out a great deal of low frequency energy. Would anyone mind offering a few tips on harnessing these beasts! Maybe a hi-pass filtering suggestion or two?

Thanks!
    If you are experiencing too much bass from RMX or Trilogy, then you're acoustic bass trapping in your studio still needs work. Our instruments are very full range, but not unlike other instruments that have great lowend...like real Basses or a Minimoog, etc.

Maybe some amp modeling could help (Logic's Bass Amp is what I have been using for Trilogy). Also, depending on the sound, a lot of times there isn't really much going on below 70 hz that is musical (50 might be a little safer), I usually always low cut either my kick or bass around there so the other can sit really low. This obviously won't work for every song. I will also note that sometimes the internal filters of Stylus or Trilogy don't work for me for this purpose. They are great musically, but I like to use other eqs to cut my bass exactly where and how I want.

I assume that you are using a rta to calibrate your studio, but if not, make sure that it is indeed the source (Trilogy/RMX) and not an acoustic anomaly. I find that any tweaking NEEDED (outside of experimenting) to these intruments is usually subtle, and often the monitor system you are using is what is causing spectral issues. Good Luck!

Whoops, the master himself beat me to it as I typed

My last album had a lot of Stylus RMX material integrated into the drumwork and so far I've gotten no complaints about the bass/low frequency energy, nor did I hear any problems there.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thanks for your help guys... some info

I'm using a Blue Sky Prodesk sat/sub system with GIK 244 traps in every corner. I calibrated and "mode tested" the room following the install and except for a slightly peaking mode at 65Hz, the room frequency response looks very good above 85Hz.

I agree that these instruments are very full range. I think what I'm mainly concerned about are the Stylus ultra low kicks and Trilogy's deep sub tones. I'll experiment with the sub volume later today. It was calibrated to 85db (like the sats). Maybe an adjustment is needed like Thunder indicated?

RMX has a nice amount of bottom. Use your ears and your eq to make it work in your track. Depending on where your bass is going to sit, you should either carve a space for your bass, or the kick/low freqency element of a percussion track. Sometimes I will hi-pass RMX to allow the bass to live low. There are no rules except learn some mixing techniques -- you can always take away and filter... you can't always add.

A good technique I've used a lot is to take tons of vinyl/acoustic kicks and electronic kicks and then layer a select few over RMX ones while simultaneously reducing the velocity of the kicks in the RMX loop. Often times I've found that a really rounded, "dead" kick sound with a lot of punch is most effective and will cut through a mix the most without introducing too much sub-bass content.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmpsr
    Thanks for your help guys... some info

I'm using a Blue Sky Prodesk sat/sub system with GIK 244 traps in every corner. I calibrated and "mode tested" the room following the install and except for a slightly peaking mode at 65Hz, the room frequency response looks very good above 85Hz.

I agree that these instruments are very full range. I think what I'm mainly concerned about are the Stylus ultra low kicks and Trilogy's deep sub tones. I'll experiment with the sub volume later today. It was calibrated to 85db (like the sats). Maybe an adjustment is needed like Thunder indicated?
    Your problem is that you are using a sub in your mixing environment. Subs are notorious for inaccurate and exaggerated low bass response.

They sound cool for composing and playback, but as far as accuracy, fuggetaboutit! :-)

There are really NO systems with subs that are what anyone would call "accurate" and you won't find too many mixing engineers that rely on playback systems like that for their main mixing reference.

Go Back to forum