• Register
  • Help

Topic: Different kind of repedalling?

Different kind of repedalling?

I am a little bit confused about the meaning of the term "repedalling". For a long time I'd been choosing hardware digital pianos instead of software because of a single feature missing on all of the software pianos. I decided to call that "repedalling issue" before the term appeared widely with the IR introduction. What I am talking about is the fact that in the real pianos the strings doesn't stop vibrating immediately after you release the key, and if you press the sustain pedal in that short interval while the string is still vibrating, you could allow it to sound again and continue from that velocity point. This works mainly for the bass notes. There are two piano techniques that make use of it. The first one is when you press a bass note staccato and at the same time (or near that time which could be a little bit later after you have released the key) press the sustain pedal and then move your left hand in the upper register - the bass note should be caught. The second technique is bass note pumping - you press a bass note loudly with the sustain pedal pressed, then move your left hand in the upper registers and play some notes, then make very fast pump-up with the sustain pedal so that the notes in the upper register are cleared-up BUT NOT the bass (because it haven't lost so much energy from the short damper touch in contrast to the hogher notes) and continue playing in different mode with both hands in upper register.

Well, after I have read about the repedalling IR in the new Giga 3 I thought it was the same issue as what I have explained. Now I am a litlle bit confused because
    it may turn out that repedalling means just activation of the sympathetic resonance in case you have pressed sustain pedal after you have played and hold notes.

Could anyone, probable Michiel or some of the experts here explain what is the difference between both kinds of repedalling, which one (if not both) is implemented
    in the IR and is it possible to implement the feature I have explained.

Digital pianos doesn't have problems with that because they loop the sound, so when you repedal a note, it just stops the fast decay and contiunes with the initial looping and the slow decay.

Paris, France

Re: Different kind of repedalling?

The feature you describe is implemented in Ivory pianos.

Actually both features :
    - True repedalling : depress damper during note release to sustain the "remaining" sound.
    - Real damper behavior : simulate pedal down resonance in real time.

- IR can be used to simulate the real damper behavior (but it's not the only technique)
    - True repedalling is more a "programming matter", and it can be done using K2 scripts. I don't know about GS3...

Some PMI pianos (K2 version) have patches with thoses both features implemented.

Hope this help.

Re: Different kind of repedalling?

In GS3 what you describe is called "Piano release mode".

In K2, we can do this thru Kontakt's script, and I wrote one that is now fully fonctionnal... as you described it, with natural and easily tweakable decay time, following the highness of the key in the register, and with half pedal (for people who gets a progressive sustain pedal).

The "true repedaling" with convolution in K2 is not yet great (sorry Michiel and Worra...) because you won't be able to play what you describe above (notes in upper register won't be killed!!!). I already said it and I solved the problem. But you will have to wait next update of K2 (soon I hope), in which I programmed something that works perfectly with convolutions... see demo at http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42582 )

In Ivory, it's already implemented.

So it will in Akoustik Piano in next update (soon I hope).

Now, what some people could call true repedalling is the fact to play pedal down resonance absolutly at the moment you press sustain pedal down, and stop when you release it, come back when you press it down again... but still while the key is played... And I agree with you, that's not a full true repedaling because what you described is missing.

Go Back to forum