I'm having a bit of a problem with Cubase SX. When I have at least one audio track in a project the HD meter flashes (the whole meter, i.e. overload) when I move/jump around on the timeline in the arrange window, and when I add a new audio track. I loaded a project with only three audio tracks and it played back without any problems (except for the mysterious HD overload flashes). Then I tried some heavier (samplers, automated effects and stuff) and when I jumped forward in the song the whole HD meter lit up and wouldn't go down (this happened when playback was stopped), and when I tried to close Cubase it crashed (didn't respond). This happened (happens) everytime. This has nothing to do with plugins since the mysterious flashing/overload is there even when I haven't installed any third party plugins.

If I load a 2 GB piano patch into Kontakt and play everything works fine and the disk light (inside Kontakt) is blinking happily. The weird behaviour arises when there are audio channels.

I still had Cubase SX 2.2 collecting dust so I installed that (instead of 3.1) and the problem was there too. Even switched from ASIO to MME, no change at all (except for the extreme latency of course). Then I decided to try other audio apps so I downloaded the Sonar 5 trial and installed that. NO disk problems at all. Same with Ableton Live.

Reinstalled Windows XP SP2 and then nothing but Cubase and the audio drivers. Problem still there. Installed Windows XP SP1 without proper support for Athlon X2. Problem still there. Now I'm on SP2 again.

This is what I've tried (and nothing has worked):

* Three different BIOS versions (just in case).
* Different audio apps (Cubase SX is the only one having this problem).
* Reinstallation of both Windows XP SP1 and SP2, and then just Cubase, nothing more.
* Placing the project folder on different harddrives, even an external USB drive.
* Turning off multi processor support (well, just in case).

These are my specs:

- Asus A8V (tried BIOS v. 2016, 2019 and 2021)
- Athlon X2 3800+ (with the latest driver)
- Asus Radeon 9200SE
- 2 x 512 MB
- Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (IDE) and 120 GB (SATA)
- M-Audio Audiophile 2496

I'm totally fed up with Asus. The A8V appeared to be incompatible with both of my previous souncards (SBLive and Hoontech DSP24), and now when I'm finally rid of all that horrid crackling and glitching I get this instead. Well, it was there before I got the new soundcard, but I didn't really notice it then because I couldn't work at all.