• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 125

Topic: Stormdrum & Colossus??

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Stormdrum Contents in Colossus??

    Hi Guys

    Please help me out
    Im thinking about getting the Stormdrum libary from EWQL, however ive also been looking at the Colossus. could somebody please tell me, is the whole stormdrum package included in the Colossus pack???

    thank you
    db

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Martinez, California
    Posts
    285

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    No, Stormdrum has many features which are not included in Colossus. First of all, none of the loops are in Colossus. There is much more of just about everything in Stormdrum (except electronic kits).

    - Stefan

  3. #3

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    I own Colossus, but not Stormdrum. However I can tell you that you only get a handfull of the Stormdrum loops in Colossus. Plus they do not sync to tempo, like in Strormdrum. But there are some fantastic multisampled kits in Colossus, though I don't know whether all of these were taken from Stormdrum - I'm pretty sure some were, though.

  4. #4

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Hey dblue,

    How urgent is this purchase? If you can wait until Q2 this year, you should keep an eye out for SAM True Strike 2 (www.projectsam.com). It seems to cover a lot of the same ground as Stormdrum, and so it might be worth it to wait so that you can compare prices/quality.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

  5. #5

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Stormdrum is one of my favorite purchases and gets a lot of use in my productions. I bought it in a group buy and saved a ton of $$$ - you may want to wait for one of those if not in a rush - but it is worth every single penny. It has that massive hollywood percussive sound!

    Mike

  6. #6

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Stormdrum is one of my favorite purchases and gets a lot of use in my productions
    This is kind of one of the angles I wanted to hint on before - Stormdrum is a great library, and so it's one of a lot of people's favorites.... and used in a lot of productions. So we kinda end up hearing the same exact sounds over and over; they're good sounds but it might be getting a bit repetitive. SAM True Strike 2, if it's a success, can offer a fresh new take on the paradigm of dramatic world percussion libraries.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

  7. #7

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Will: I tend to use Stormdrum's kits more than loops - loops get stale and overused and are obvious when you see them in a few productions. They are, however, nice to use when in a pinch or a rush and a client wants to be wowed immediately. But I like using the earthquake ensemble percussion kits sparingly in my productions when called for - so everything does stay pretty fresh.

    It's kinda like saying, "Boy, I wish they would make a new sampleset for Timpanis - it's getting so stale to use all the other Timpani samples in my symphony orchestra pieces. They all sound the same at this point!"

    Mike

  8. #8

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Will: I tend to use Stormdrum's kits more than loops - loops get stale and overused and are obvious when you see them in a few productions. They are, however, nice to use when in a pinch or a rush and a client wants to be wowed immediately. But I like using the earthquake ensemble percussion kits sparingly in my productions when called for - so everything does stay pretty fresh.

    It's kinda like saying, "Boy, I wish they would make a new sampleset for Timpanis - it's getting so stale to use all the other Timpani samples in my symphony orchestra pieces. They all sound the same at this point!"

    Mike
    Hmm.. But Tympanis are most certainly not used to the same extent as stormdrums or an equivalent derivative. And that's key to what Will wrote about getting repetitive. Maybe the time is coming when the boredom factor will take over, and new sampled percussion libraries will feature other instruments more prominently in conjunction with a change in mindset by composers and producers, instead of wide loud drums being the perceived automatic 'go to'.

    In addition, Tympanis can be varied in pitch, offering more opportunity to blend them into an arrangement and yet retain a strong role as a bass percussion instrument.

    I think the comparison is invalid in this sense.

    Regards,

    Alex.

  9. #9

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget
    This is kind of one of the angles I wanted to hint on before - Stormdrum is a great library, and so it's one of a lot of people's favorites.... and used in a lot of productions. So we kinda end up hearing the same exact sounds over and over; they're good sounds but it might be getting a bit repetitive. SAM True Strike 2, if it's a success, can offer a fresh new take on the paradigm of dramatic world percussion libraries.
    But don't you think Will, that you, as a musician is the only person that truely cares that you can hear it in a ton of other works? The average listener doesn't know a zither from a fiddle (exagerated to make a point), so they don't particularly care. Don't know how producers feel about hearing this type of sound in other works (or do they even notice or care.) They may actually like it because it becomes familiar. Brings to mind something King Idiot mentioned somewhere.

  10. #10

    Re: Stormdrum & Colossus??

    Thanks for all your comments guys.

    Im basically looking to get a nice film score like perc libary, powerful percussion, hence why i was looking at Stormdrum.
    that True Strike II does look like it could be one very nice libary indeed. any other recomendations? whats true strike 1 like? Im just keen on some nice kick ~~~ powerfull trailer like perc, just dont want to blow my money on something il never use.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •