• Register
  • Help

Topic: EQ'ing individual notes in piano libraries

Share/Bookmark

EQ'ing individual notes in piano libraries

I was wondering it is possible to adjust the EQ for individual notes in GS3 or kontakt. I don't mean by using low pass filters etc but by using bass/mid/treble parameters (if they exist at that level)

I've found with GS2.5 that low pass filters were sometimes useful but that I often wanted to be able to adjust eq directly, particularly to brighten particular notes.

Re: EQ'ing individual notes in piano libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Vance
    I was wondering it is possible to adjust the EQ for individual notes in GS3 or kontakt. I don't mean by using low pass filters etc but by using bass/mid/treble parameters (if they exist at that level)
    Don't know about GS3, but in Kontakt you'd have to split out those individual notes (and perhaps certain velocities of those notes) into their own groups, then apply an EQ filter to each group individually. Time consuming, and EXPENSIVE on the cpu... Your best bet would be to dissect the sample groups, pick out the specific samples you think need adjusting, and modify them in place using soundforge, cooledit, whatever. Keep in mind, any one of the contemporary piano libs will have about 4000+ samples... Good Luck!

EDIT: oh... and of course, to answer your question... (Kontakt 1.5) group EQ options would include 1-, 2-, and 3-band parametric EQ,or if you really want to burn some CPU cycles there's a 3x2 multimode filter. Haven't had much luck editing with K2, which is wy I mentioned K1.5...

Re: EQ'ing individual notes in piano libraries

I don't know, off-hand, about the capacities for individual programs to eq each note, but my experience in trying to do this (or even create sectors of a few notes) in some programs has been that the attempt creates jams---latency and crashes. The processing load is really heavy.

It may be better to eq at the sample level: import each sample into a wave editor, eq it there, and then add the sample back to the multisample.

On the other hand, I think that there are some vst effect engines out there that can eq 3-4 different zones differently.

Go Back to forum