• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Difference between the GPO Steinway and the JABB Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Difference between the GPO Steinway and the JABB Steinway

Can anyone tell me whether the GPO and the JABB Steinways are (basically) the same piano?

After listening to a few of the demos (particularly solo piano) I get the impression that the JABB is a bit more detailed and clear than the GPO. Maybe that's more to do with the settings.

I'd be particularly interested to know the sample size of each.

Re: Difference between the GPO Steinway and the JABB Steinway

GPO and JABB use completely different sample sets (recorded two years apart.)

GPO Steinway = 244Mb
    GPO Steinway Lite = 165Mb
    GPO Steinway Duo 1 = 124Mb
    GPO Steinway Duo 2 = 127Mb

JABB Steinway = 336Mb
    JABB Steinway Lite = 117Mb

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    GPO and JABB use completely different sample sets (recorded two years apart.)

GPO Steinway = 244Mb
    GPO Steinway Lite = 165Mb
    GPO Steinway Duo 1 = 124Mb
    GPO Steinway Duo 2 = 127Mb

JABB Steinway = 336Mb
    JABB Steinway Lite = 117Mb

Tom
    Thanks Tom.

The Jabb piano is tuned so much better. I really like the JABB piano.

Dan

Thumbs up Re: Difference between the GPO Steinway and the JABB Steinway

I noticed right off the bat JABB pianie was clearer, brighter, more polished, longer, blacker, lacquer, fuller, and above all ... all this and including 8th notes.
    I like JABB pianie.

I thought I read somewhere that the JABB Steinway was only recorded at 2 velocity levels? So I assumed it was smaller than the GPO piano...

Must have misread something... I'll have to play around with the JABB piano some more!

chris.

I'm still struggling my way through JABB (I know, I know, I'm deeply afflicted with backwardness -- Gary probably wonders what the dickens I'm doing with it) -- but I've spent a good deal of time with the JABB piano.

To me, the "voicing" on it seems much brighter, clearer, and cleaner. Dan also mentioned the tuning of it; and though my ears are not nearly as sharp as the legendary DPDan, I've noticed particularly that even low, close voicings retain their crispness and balance.

Overall, Gary et al. did a fantastic job on this.

If this is a foreshadowing of the quality we can expect on the forthcoming Steinway, I really cannot wait to hear it!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

and though my ears are not nearly as sharp as the legendary DPDan,
    I don't know about that! Neither one of you mentioned the pencil sharpener whinnying away in the background on the middle register. I don' knowwwww~!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I don't know about that! Neither one of you mentioned the pencil sharpener whinnying away in the background on the middle register. I don' knowwwww~!
    Oh, heck. That's in the samples? I make a whirring-grinding noise when I write [old habit, keeps me awake when my own material is boring me half to death]... thought it was just me.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I thought I read somewhere that the JABB Steinway was only recorded at 2 velocity levels? So I assumed it was smaller than the GPO piano...
    From what I can tell in the mapping editor in Kontakt 2, The JABB piano is sampled at 5 velocity layers.

Of course that's just what I see. Am I right, Tom?

Actually, this is an off topic comment but I just realized how logical it is that Steinway would be interested in Gary doing their authorized library- I always thought the GPO Steinway sounded lovely for being as small as it is and I've used it a lot. I haven't even heard the JABB Steinway. This isn't meant to reflect poorly on the other great sampled Steinways out there by Sampletekk and PMI and others- but Gary's has a nice playable sound and it's like, half to a fifth smaller in footprint and layers...

Go Back to forum