• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar - MIDI to Audio not Recording Console (Mixer) Settings.

Share/Bookmark

Sonar - MIDI to Audio not Recording Console (Mixer) Settings.

I've been using my GPO in Sonar for just over a week now and am making headway. I hope someone can help me with a MIDI to audio problem. I've read through the manual and followed the instructions there and I've searched forums.

Using Sonar 5 (Producer) I imported a MIDI file created in Finale which I then mixed and balanced using Sonar's Console. I'm using VST instruments (Garritan Personal Orchestra) and when I play the file it sounds fine.

Next I need to save this as an audio (wave) file. I go to the 'File/Export/Audio' and select 'Entire Mix' to save as a 'Broadcast Wave' file. Sonar goes through the 'mix-down' process and everything seems ok, the .wav file is created and saved.

When I play the .wav file, all I have is a .wav file of my original MIDI file; none of my mixing and balancing has been applied. Is this 'normal'?

I have a workaround by playing and recording my mixed file through my external Boss digital studio.

I believe it should be possible to save my MIDI file, complete with the Console mixed settings, as an audio file directly in Sonar. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to do this?

Many thanks for any help with this.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Sonar - MIDI to Audio not Recording Console (Mixer) Settings.

Selecting the "RAW Broadcast Wave Files" preset will turn off all the options under "Mix Enables". This probably defeats all of your careful mixing!

Instead, choose "All" (or potentially "What You Hear"). Hopefully this will enable all of your mix changes in the final .wav file.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Selecting the "RAW Broadcast Wave Files" preset will turn off all the options under "Mix Enables". This probably defeats all of your careful mixing!

Instead, choose "All" (or potentially "What You Hear"). Hopefully this will enable all of your mix changes in the final .wav file.

- m
    Hello Markleford,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've tried what you suggested and just about every other setting there but still no luck. It just goes on mixing down the original MIDI file without my mix changes in the final .wav file.

As I said in my post, it all plays perfectly in Sonar playback with all my mix settings intact.

I have found another fix which is to add a new stereo audio track then play and record to this track. Then I have to export this audio track to a .wav file.

It must be possible to record the MIDI file directly with all mix settings applied somehow!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello Markleford,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've tried what you suggested and just about every other setting there but still no luck. It just goes on mixing down the original MIDI file without my mix changes in the final .wav file.

As I said in my post, it all plays perfectly in Sonar playback with all my mix settings intact.

I have found another fix which is to add a new stereo audio track then play and record to this track. Then I have to export this audio track to a .wav file.

It must be possible to record the MIDI file directly with all mix settings applied somehow!
    I have Sonar 4. Here is what I do.

To export audio, not as a an included part of your cakewalk file: select all tracks, then from the file menu, export audio. I select all options from the menu, except Fast Bounce, which is a disaster. Set your sample rate as you need. Set file type as riff wav. Select file name and location, swat enter, then sit back and wait a few minutes, and there it is.

To create an audio track, the process is the same except that you will select all tracks, and from Edit, bounce to tracks.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    select all tracks
    Oh yes, that too! I forgot to mention it. If your automation is on a separate track than your notes, its possible it won't go into effect if it isn't selected as well.

If you still can't get it right, post your project file for the rest of us to try, perhaps? If we can get it working, then you can too!

- m

Many thanks Richard and Markleford.

I've tried all your suggestions and still the thing insists on recording the original MIDI file.

Just to double confirm, we are talking about MIDI files with Console Mixer settings being exported to Audio .wav files. I've tried different MIDI files and it still happens.

I've tried posting the problem on the Cakewalk Sonar forum and someone replied that I should bounce the MIDI tracks to Audio tracks, mix the audio tracks then export this to a .wav file. This suggests that MIDI to Audio with mixing/balancing applied can't be done. Having said that, it does seem that both yourselves actually manage this ok. Also I think this is the process that Finale uses when it saves a file to audio so it must be possible.

I will try another MIDI file and if I still have the problem I might take up your offer. I'll choose a short file for the test.

Many thanks again
    Michael

This suggests that MIDI to Audio with mixing/balancing applied can't be done. Having said that, it does seem that both yourselves actually manage this ok.
    Indeed! Suggesting otherwise would insist that SONAR is incapable of doing what every other sequencer can do as well.

It's not going to be the particular MIDI file that's the issue (unless it contains MIDI information for volume/panning changes already: does it?), it's the project setup in SONAR. If you could put a copy up for download or email to one of us, that would help out immensely.

And when you're talking about Console Mixer settings, you're just setting them for each MIDI track and ignoring them after that? And is each MIDI track split out per instrument?

- m

Go Back to forum