• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Marriage of Figaro!

The Marriage of Figaro!

I've just returned from the Virginia Opera's performance of "The Marriage of Figaro"! It was bliss...

With the thousands of dollars I'm paying (well, my poor parents paying mostly ) the least this university could do is offer us students free tickets to artsy-fartsy events (on the condition we sit in the back and don't drink all the wine). So... I picked up a ticket and went!

The theater, or concert hall as they call it, really isn't very big, especially for operas. The accoustics really aren't meant for opera either... actually I have no idea what thought was put in the design of the place, it's kind of funky. Anyway, since I was sitting way in the back the sound doesn't sound as "full" as it has when I've sat up close for orchestras. Actually, the orchestra sounded synthy... No, really the orchestra sounded fine. The singers on the other hand didn't sound as clear as they do on cds... their vowels and words kind of slurred together... but no matter, I can't understand Italian anyway. The stage looks much more clear now that I have glasses though and I could actually read the subtitles without binoculars.

Now as for the opera itself... WOOOO!! What music!! I love Mozart! The melodies were beautiful, memorable, and lyrical. And the music was abundant, it never got boring... new melodies and motifs spring up at just the right time, and repeat at just the right time too. Of course I am biased as I have loved Mozart for some time previous to the Opera...

I haven't seen many operas yet... just free ones that come to the my university. Since I've started college, I've seen Faust and Verdi's La Traviata and MacBeth. Figaro outdoes them all of course! Not just because I am biased towards the awesome music, but the story is much more exciting and compelling... and hilarious! The Virginia Opera's sets, costumes, and lighting were also extremely well done; they created a very believable world that really submerged me in the story (even though I was sitting far away well, I did have binoculars that I used now and then to get close-ups of the performers). I had listened to the entire Opera before on cds, but I found myself laughing all over again at the comedy as I watched it performed live. The performers did not just stand there singing, they really got into character and played their roles; the choreography was great (if you would call it "choreography").

Also, the opera really does last for four hours But I certainly didn't yawn! I was captivated the entire time, I was surprised it really took that long! Well, the intermissions take up some of that time as well, but it is a pretty long opera... but I still couldn't get enough!

So... I just had to share all that with you! I am very thankful I had the opportunity to attend the opera!

The Marriage of Figaro is outstanding!! I definitely give it a 10 out of 10. I'll need to buy the score...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: The Marriage of Figaro!

Ah... post-concert bliss. You inspired me to do something I'd long dreamed of: check to see when the next CU opera performances are. Mid-March, it turns out. The opera? Something called The Marriage of Figaro.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Also, the opera really does last for four hours [...] but it is a pretty long opera...
    Hah, try Wagner - and don't forget the picnic basket

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    The opera? Something called The Marriage of Figaro.
    Woohoo! If you get to it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

West Seneca, NY

Wow, when I was a University at Buffalo student we always would receive free admission to most of the concerts and other productions or we would receive half off the ticket price. I really miss my theatre days in college! Anyone have a time machine?

Well Sean, you inspired me to check out my local Baltimore Opera house.... and man, operas are expensive.... maybe I'll check the local music college to see if they have anything a little more in my budget range...

Re: The Marriage of Figgy

Hmmmmmmmmmm....I guess it´s O.K. if you want to hear I - IV - V the whole night. Everyone here in Germany is jumping up and down about 250 years of Mozart? concerts are on everywhere.
    Well everyone to his own I guess.
    Like someone else wrote try Wagner, he offers some real melodies and some fat exhilarating harmony that will just blow you away!!
    Now that´ll make your hair curl more than Mozies wig!

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds..." -- Mark Twain

Wow... last time I saw Figaro was... way, way too long ago at the Met.

For those who have difficulty finding the time, the money, or just aren't near a good performance center, you might want to check out the...

Metropolitan Opera Radio Broadcasts

These are fairly widely available on many radio stations, and there is a station finder here.

Oooo... the Met... I'd love to see an opera there at least once in my life

I'm certainly not as familiar with Wagner's work... but I'll get into it eventually. (Maybe by the time I can afford to go to the Met... )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum