• Register
  • Help

Topic: Outer Limits

California Redwoods

Outer Limits

In this movement, I was searching for my outer limits in this genre. As a consequence, I advise the musical conservatives that they won't enjoy this, although they may find it interesting. In performance, if the general level of mf is adhered to, the changing textures will provide the rest of the dynamic necessity. (So it seems to me.)

Kaypio, 3d mvt

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband.

Smile Re: Outer Limits

This is very inspiring music. It is difficult to express my feeling but let me try. Vertically, this might be the outer limits but horizontally (or direction of depth) it could be extended. But this becomes only seeable because you established this outer limit.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Re: Outer Limits

Well now... the outer limits you have reached. I have thought about my response to this piece for a bit and are not sure how to approach it. As a post romantic I have a hard time listening outside of western/european harmonic structures: the outer limits. I think the response to this work is the challenge. I believe, however, I understand your goals. And I honestly think you have reached them. I first thought of "modern" life when listening; the dissonance and disjointed realities of life and how they affect ones reach for self harmony and balance. So I would have to say that this work is very expressive and respect it very much. An artist comes to mind that in my opinion parallels this piece: Jean-Michel Basquiat.
    Well I hope some of this makes sense and helps a bit.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

California Redwoods

Well, coming at a moment when I was really depressed about my composing skills, your comments were extremely welcome. I was (and still am, a bit) upset about my notation of another piece. The notation was deservedly questioned, not the composition. Nevertheless, it wiped me out for most of the day. One reason I don't do much orchestral composing is that I need much more practice in the nuances of orchestral notation. I guess it is back to Gardner Read and Walter Piston.

You guys have given me sufficient confidence to proceed with the repair of the second movement of this work, which will then be complete. The main delay now is learning how long a passage can a string player play every note as a trill without suffering strain.

Ack! Sorry it's taken me so long to catch up with this, Richard -- I've gotten somewhat behind on the longer material, and wanted to listen to both of these related posts in sequence.

First, for heaven's sake, Richard, you're the last person who should be depressed over your composing skills. You unfailingly and consistently come up with some of the most interesting, original, and inventive of works.

This work is no exception. The bones of this piece are fascinating.

Yet, as you say, it would benefit from more practice in the nuances of orchestration.

If it is any consolation, at one time I stepped away from writing for many years; and when I returned, found I had forgotten volumes of information and technique as completely as if I had never known it.

I had to relearn.

I hope you, too, will tackle this task in the same workman-like fashion that I did, and with the same energy and vigor that invariably inhabits your music.

My best,

I think you have outdone yourself. This was quite unlike anything I have ever heard before. I think the emotional exhaustion, and satisfaction, after listening to this and the first movement, is a clear idication to me that you have acheived something really deep. At least to me, something that can not be put into words. Thank you for letting us into your world.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum