• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can JABB funk it up?

Share/Bookmark

Can JABB funk it up?

Still waiting to hear a good, professionally produced example of JABB horns in a rock or funk environment. (w/falls, stabs, shakes and most importantly depicting the realism of individual players.)

The jazz examples sound nice, but not what I'm looking to use this for...

Here's an example in the neighborhood of what I'm looking for (check out the mp3 demo).

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?Articleid=205

EDIT: Here's the direct link to the mp3
    http://www.zero-g.co.uk/media/mp3/r/...mHornsDemo.mp3

Re: Can JABB funk it up?

I'd like to get my hands on JABB and see what it can do in the horn section. As soon as I've recovered from my computer and sampler purchases, I'll put in my order but frankly, I've not been impressed by anything I've heard yet...

Getting the clinical feel out of a sequence of samples is definitely more a challenge than inserting ready to go riffs. Easier to get them to sound original but harder to put in that human touch.

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but...

Steve the Superhero
    - 60's 'Batman rock'
    Dance Like an Animal - disco rock
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Comparing a riff library to a playable library is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison. Nevertheless, I'll will put a funk demo cue on my list of to-do's, but won't get to it for a few weeks at least. I've been wanting to do something with JABB and the SCARBEE libraries for some time, and I love the Earth, Wind and Fire/Tower of Power sound (and used to play trombone in those kinds of horn lines). I'll try to post something late on Monday, March 6. Fair nuff?
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Comparing a riff library to a playable library is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison. Nevertheless, I'll will put a funk demo cue on my list of to-do's, but won't get to it for a few weeks at least. I've been wanting to do something with JABB and the SCARBEE libraries for some time, and I love the Earth, Wind and Fire/Tower of Power sound (and used to play trombone in those kinds of horn lines). I'll try to post something late on Monday, March 6. Fair nuff?
    Yeah, I know some of the Phantom horn stuff is sample riffs, but they also have multisamples for individual instruments and sections according to the track list so I assumed there was more than just riffs.

Houston, I look forward to hearing the demo. Don't rush on my account, though. I know it takes time to do those things right!

Shazbot: Nice work on those tunes! Fun listen! The horn parts themselves sound okay, but they're more in the background. And being a "layered" part, I suspect the parts don't really hilite JABB's full potential. For tunes which would feature horns more prominantely, I would expect a bit more realism. I really want to know if JABB can crank out parts along the lines of the stabs and lines you hear in the mp3 link.

Qbert,

JABB was designed for a jazz, not funk/R&B, sound but it should be able to do a credible job of it in skilled hands. I'm sure at some point I will add an "official" funk horn section demo but that's probably many months away since it isn't the primary focus of the library and there are other things taking priority. I'm wondering though, since the Zero-G product seems to get just what you are after, why don't you just go with that? Seems like the best choice for you under the circumstances.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I'm wondering though, since the Zero-G product seems to get just what you are after, why don't you just go with that? Seems like the best choice for you under the circumstances.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

I'd rather stick to VSTi than work with a sampler. I have GPO and enjoy it's ease-of-use and programmability. (Nice work, BTW!) Very quick with the set-up and go factor! And because it's also so versatile stylistically (classical, rock, TV shows, etc.), I was hoping JABB would be as flexible.

JABB was designed for a jazz, not funk/R&B, sound
    I'm a blues and rock guy and I don't really have a need for arranging big band or jazz music (at all!) so if I can't get a convincing "rock" or "funk" sound from JABB, then I appreciate your being honest about that.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    JABB was designed for a jazz, not funk/R&B
    In terms of playing nuances, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a modern big band and a funk band.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    In terms of playing nuances, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a modern big band and a funk band.
    Well, yes and no. I've played in a lot of both over the last 40 years and there are many strong similarities in technique but also some common differences. Funk bands tend to be more crisply staccato in execution compared to modern big bands. Big bands tend to utilize a larger vocabulary of inflection than the standard funk band. But mainly I was trying to communicate that we haven't tested the Jazz and Big Band library with funk material and I'm hesitant to say, "sure, no problem, it can do that great!" without having tried it, and I'm not going to be trying it anytime soon. Having said that, as I stated in my post, I see no reason that the library couldn't be applied successfully to a funk situation in the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing.

Just as an aside: The library is "Jazz and Big Band," meaning that it was designed with Jazz applications from small groups up to and including big bands in mind. The name reflects the design intention but it does not limit the possibilities. These sounds could conceivably be used in many applications that have nothing whatsoever to do with Jazz. As an example, the more aggressive brass could be used within a GPO orchestral arrangement. A funk horn section would be just another use that could probably be effective even though it was not specifically considered during the design process.

Tom

Go Back to forum