• Register
  • Help

Topic: Underpowered, or am I missing something?

Share/Bookmark

Underpowered, or am I missing something?

Hi!
    It says in the booklet that the Stradivari defaults to C1 keyswitching, therefore automatic mono, legato, polyphonic mode. I get a staccato with a thin, distant, reedy tail.
    I'm using a small 2 octave keyboard with a lap-top (on the road mostly) so I draw in the note C1 on the midi-channel I'm using to trigger Kontakt 2 in Digital Performer, press go and no change.
    I check the tool box to open the window that makes the scripts and filters visible and the sound completely cuts out, so I have to re-boot Kontakt 2.

I'm on an Apple Mac running OS10.3.9. It's only a 1gig G4 which may have a bearing on this. I know now that a 1.5gig G4 is recommended as a minimum requirement (although I failed to read this before opening my wallet!). Since placing all my samples and DP programs on an external 7200 drive (where I also have my Stradivari) I've not found performance to be a problem at all, until now perhaps.
    Any ideas, much appreciated!
    Hywyn

Re: Underpowered, or am I missing something?

You must use CC11 (Expression) to hear the whole instrument. It's recommended to have an expression pedal to use with the strad. You could see if you have a programmable slider and set it to CC11. Please read through the manual so you'll understand the programming.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You must use CC11 (Expression) to hear the whole instrument. It's recommended to have an expression pedal to use with the strad. You could see if you have a programmable slider and set it to CC11. Please read through the manual so you'll understand the programming.

Jim
    Ok, will do, thanks!
    Hywyn

Jim
    This hasn't worked as my programable controller refuses to be programmed!!! It will send midi data on for example, - cc 48 but not cc 11.

If there is a way to program Kontakt 2 to receive expression data on midi cc 48 that would be a solution. Any idea how I might achieve that? I can't find it in the manual.

I've managed to get the stradivari at a constant velocity by setting a value of 64 on cc11 in my host sequencer, so at least I can write some lines. Perhaps automating volume faders will give some sense of expression, but I imagine the Stradivari changes timbre when going from mf to ff, so it'll be a compromise.

Any ideas appreciated!
    Hywyn

What kind of controller are you using? CC11 is a very basic controller used by many libraries.

Jim

What kind of controller are you using? CC11 is a very basic controller used by many libraries.

Jim
    It's an M Audio Oxygen 8. No pedal but 8 assignable rotary pots which aren't assignable any more!

They don't program any longer? Is there something to protect the faders from being changed? I'm not familiar with this keyboard so I can't help you there. The strad really needs at least a 5 octave keyboard for full use. It may be time to start shopping around for a new keyboard controller.

Jim

They don't program any longer? Is there something to protect the faders from being changed? I'm not familiar with this keyboard so I can't help you there. The strad really needs at least a 5 octave keyboard for full use. It may be time to start shopping around for a new keyboard controller.

Jim
    Not sure why the keyboard has decided to renege on the deal and stop allowing me to program it, but I've a bunch of rotary pots sending out cc data that I can't change.
    There is a fine workaround I've discovered from advice I got at the MOTU MAC forum: by re-assigning the controller as a midi plug-in in real time.
    And what a result!!! - to hear the instrument breath. Can't believe it's me (- of course it isn't but you know what I mean)!!

Go Back to forum