• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO on Linux

Share/Bookmark

GPO on Linux

I would personally like to see Garritan Personal Orchestra able to work on Ubuntu Linux. And I don't mean in wine. I would like to see a version that could work natively. I would like to get full use of my RAM (instead of being left with about 256 MB after Windows and its processes take over 768 MB of RAM) and my processor. It's just Sibelius and GPO (coupled with a corrupted install of Audacity on my Linux systems) that are holding me back on Windows. I would find this rather nice even if it were to be an out of date version of the libraries (mine already is as I haven't updated it, at least it can save audio files).

Re: GPO on Linux

I fully support this!

GPO, Sibelius, JABB, Cubase SX and the Native Instruments stuff are the only things that are holding me back from switching to Linux and saying goodbye to the DRM/Virus/Vista-madness that will get even worse in the next few years.

Maybe it will become financially feasable to develop professional audio applications for Linux in a few years... One can always dream...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

If Gary would release the source, I could probably do it at school for my C++ programming class on Ubuntu...

It's not so much an issue with the plugins themselves, but rather the lack of a Linux native VST host. Every case of using VST on Linux that I've heard involves WINE.

very nice....good idea...

OOH WHATS THAT? OVER THERE BEHIND THAT TREE!!!

ITS.....MICROSOFT VISTA!!! RUN AWAY UBUTU!!! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Lol. Yes, run away.

I'd be interested to know Tom Crowning's view on this, as i believe he's using linux successfully. It would be useful to know which programmes he finds better to use, and which plugins he uses, with additional info on how easy it is to install and use Linux software.

Alex.

Go Back to forum