• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Opinions on QL Brass...

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on QL Brass...

I am currently looking for a full orchestral brass library, and am not quite sure what to go with. I have three current options. I looked at the QL brass and they seem really good, and i've heard that the instruments' attacks are captured very well. I am mainly looking for loud, bold sounding brass to go with what im currently using, so how aggressive is QL Brass? I'm mainly asking about the Trumpet, Thrombone and Horn ensembles. Do the samples have a slight ambience or are they dead on dry recordings?

What I also had in mind was getting the SAM package, but thats out of my budget right now. SAM is really the sound i have in mind though. I was going to go straight for Kirk Hunter's VS Series Brass, but he says its no longer available. I could also get KHSO Emerald, but the brass seems much more sharp and less smooth than the ambient VS brass (which i liked).

VS is gone, SAM is too much for me ATM, and I don't know if i'd like KHSO as much, although it seems very, very good. The other thing is QL Brass and I just wanted your opinions on this library since I have no experience with it, and the demos don't really show the brass up front. I know its an older library too, but im not concerned about that at all. my main orchestral set right now is AO (from complete classic) . If you know of any other brass libraries, please so suggest them.

And PLEASE don't suggest VSL, or QLSO brass sets. I can't afford them, and im tired of hearing them.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Opinions on QL Brass...

You might check with Worra from Sampletekk about Bigga Orchestral Brass. That was a pretty reasonably priced library.

QL Brass has some good stuff in it. You won't get it to move from note to note with a great deal of smoothness. It's a good library, though. If you look at an articulation list for it, you'll find the descriptions to be dead on, i.e., Ben Webster sax is exactly what you'd expect it to be. I really think of that one as more of an orchestral/jazz hybrid.

If SAM brass is what you want, perhaps you might consider holding off a bit for that. The other obvious contender you didn't mention is Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass, which is quite excellent--but also on the higher end of the cost spectrum.

So QL Brass sounds choppy? I'm more looking for good staccato, and forte sustain samples right now; things that play agressivley yet still have smoothness (tone wise). I can probably get it to play satisfactorily but if there aren't things like longer marcato samples thats a disadvantage too.

I guess ill buy some of the SAM stuff separatley, or QL (maybe). I just wish i could get my hands on the VS Brass . I also forgot about things like SI but thats ridiculously priced. How can you justify $1000 for a brass set when SAM is just as good and under half the price? I could get a full orchestra library for that. I mean, SI sounds great, but at $1000 i think they need a price drop.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

What do you think QL Brass has that VSL Opus brass does not?

Go listen to SI's brass and tell me it's not worth $1000. The fact that the price is still up could mean that they care about their first buyer or that they are confident in their product.

You said you were looking for an "orchestral" brass set. Quantum Leap brass is not that, not by a long way. It's not even supposed to be that.

I use QLB but it's a completely different animal from orchestral brass. It's a pop/jazz/funk library, where the object was to capture (a) the general tone quality of those styles - bright and ballsy with lots of metal and buzz, and (b) the vast quantity of articulations and special sounds particular to those styles - growls, lip trills, loud forced muted sounds etc.

It did this very well for its time, though i think the recent Garritan set and Chris Hein Horns have probably eclipsed it. But no way is it even intended to sound like an orchestral section.

The price difference between it (even now) and SAM brass is not THAT great, is it? IMO, if you really mean you want orchestral brass, as in the sound of a symphony orchestra section, then you should wait until you can save the money for SAM. It's fantastic quality and very good value, probably as good as the VSL and EWQLSO offerings in many ways and better in some, even though it's cheaper. Buying QLB won't achieve what you want it to, and it will just mean you're spending money that could have been saved towards SAM, so it will take longer before you CAN achieve what you want to.

I don't think there's a real quality brass library around any cheaper than SAM. Though Bruce is right that you may be able to get started with Worra's set. He was offering the download version real cheap recently - don't know if he still is. That's an actual orchestral brass set.

I picked up SAM trombones for about 50 quid in a sale at T&S a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how much cheaper that can be.

Ouch is right about QLB being more for jazz/bigband/pop. The playing is phenomenal. There are a number of stylized articulations that are aout of this world. Bruce is right about it being harder to stich notes together with though. It typically has only two velocity layers, so you pretty much need to play within one or the other to play a decent melody. It might work well with the DEF filter though...

The bottom line: If you do jazz/bigband/pop, and don't mind messing with articulations, QLB is nice to have in the arsenal. I don't own the other jazz libs, so I won't compare them.

I also own Worra's BoB. It's very mellow and is better suited for quiet liturgical works than for big fanfares and crescendos. BoB is a solo lib, though there are multiple solo instruments that you can combine for a smaller ensemble. As I recall, it typically has four dynamic layers. The attacks are fairly slow on the sustains, so it doesn't hold up under fast playing. Also, the performances on some of the instruments (especially tuba) are a bit loose in the outer ranges. Some level of auto-tuning would have helped to tighten the pitch from attack through the sustain.

But hey, this was one of Worra's early libs. And it's really inexpensive right now. If you want a mellow solo lib, and don't use extreme registers, this lib could be what you need.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by RedWizard
    What do you think QL Brass has that VSL Opus brass does not?
    A different sound...i know what i can get out of opus. I have used it and seen it in action. The trombones and some of the trumpets in VSL are close to the sound i like, but i was going for the smoothness of a little recorded ambience. I prefer to use dry srtrings+woods and wetter brass. I still add reverb though. VSL also doesn't have the heroic, soaring horns like SAM. Theyre smaller and i also use that sound alot, plus they have great legato. Point is, i already have horns like that (AO) and i wanter bigger ones to go with it. Like i said too, im really tired of hearing the QLSO and VSL stuff. They're not bad my any means at all! They're amazing and i could never even think of spending so much time into recording all those samples, but i really want something new; something that I don't hear constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Go listen to SI's brass and tell me it's not worth $1000. The fact that the price is still up could mean that they care about their first buyer or that they are confident in their product.
    If i hadn't heard any other sets, or orchestral samples, i'd say it was worth more than $1000. Then i heard all the other great, competitivley priced options like SAM, which sound just as good.

I also looked at Worra's library, and its very nice. unfortunatley it's not really what im looking for. And QL brass is supposedly fr orchestral too.....is it really not good for this purpose? I like the sound of the horns in some of the demo; except for times when they sounded...bad (like the rips at 2:06 in the demo). Something tells me its just the demo though.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

If i hadn't heard any other sets, or orchestral samples, i'd say it was worth more than $1000. Then i heard all the other great, competitivley priced options like SAM, which sound just as good.
    I agrea on that one, sam is amazing and one of my favorit, i gess what i ment was they are all worth their own price and that we are lucky to have them...

Did you try VSL Epic horn? ..I know you don't want to hear about VSL but those are defferent, they are big.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast