• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 3 - Viola doesn't playback below G-sharp

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Sibelius 3 - Viola doesn't playback below G-sharp

I cannot figure this one out. I am using GPO with Sibelius 3.1.3. I am working with a viola part which uses the lowest notes on the instrument including C below middle C. The entire range of the viola can be played via the Garritan Studio virtual keyboard. But when I play the score back in Sibelius, the viola part will not sound any note lower than G-sharp (bottom space of the c-clef). I tried other viola samples but get the same result. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Jonathan

Re: Sibelius 3 - Viola doesn't playback below G-sharp

Quote Originally Posted by shearwater
    I cannot figure this one out. I am using GPO with Sibelius 3.1.3. I am working with a viola part which uses the lowest notes on the instrument including C below middle C. The entire range of the viola can be played via the Garritan Studio virtual keyboard. But when I play the score back in Sibelius, the viola part will not sound any note lower than G-sharp (bottom space of the c-clef). I tried other viola samples but get the same result. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Jonathan
    Before I switched to Sibelius 4, I think I occasionally had this problem - a note here or there wouldn't sound. Is is always this way - in all scores? Try loading the studio, and writing it in a new score. Also, check that you don't accidently have the Velocity in Live Playback set to 0, or some very low figure. Set it to 80, and see if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl

Thanks for the reply. I created a blank string quartet score, entered low viola range notes and it plays back flawlessly. The Op. 137 Beethoven score I originally posted about must have some information keeping the 4th string of the viola from sounding. Hopefully, I can figure out what it is.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by shearwater
    Thanks for the reply. I created a blank string quartet score, entered low viola range notes and it plays back flawlessly. The Op. 137 Beethoven score I originally posted about must have some information keeping the 4th string of the viola from sounding. Hopefully, I can figure out what it is.

Jonathan
    I'm not sure what causes it - I remember having a score with the same problem. I imported it into Overture SE, which comes with GPO (this was before the Sib-GPO edition). Overture has an option to view the score from a sequencer interface, and there I could "see" that the viola part had some notes that had a 0 velocity value - no idea how it came about.

Glad you got it worked out.

Ron

Go Back to forum