• Register
  • Help

Topic: Elwood Herring - Symphony 4 mvt ii

Share/Bookmark

Elwood Herring - Symphony 4 mvt ii

About 6 years ago I met Paul Williams (aka Elwood Herring) on a chat board in Audiogalaxy (remember THAT innovative software?!?)

He displayed an encyclopedic knowledge of composers and especially for the genre of the symphony.... he was (and is) also a self-taught composer, poet and writer. We have shared a love of music and oddball composers now across the pond for these 5-6 years of our friendship, and regularly chat and share new "finds" of obscure music.

Elwood (as he is known on the internet) doesn't have GPO yet, nor does he have the means to easily use it (i.e Finale, SIbelius, Overture, etc). So, I have taken the MIDI file he prepared of his 4th Symphony and begun rendering it with GPO as I have a spare moment or 2. Mvt 2 seemed the easiest to convet first, so here it is.... (with the composer's blessing)

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/ElwoodSym4mvt2a.mp3

I'm sure he would be delighted to hear your comments - I'll give him the link to this post so he can see them (and perhaps we can get him to join our little bunch of music makers!)

Enjoy,

Re: Elwood Herring - Symphony 4 mvt ii

Thanks for bringing this forward, Jonathan! You do both him and us a service with this...

Mr. Williams, may I warmly welcome you!

I've listened through this several times. Interesting work in its subtle and surficially spare but organizationally complex interplay of thematic material. Lean writing like this is deceptive... simple outwardly and on a casual listen, the deeper substance and beauty emerges only as you grasp the longer trains of thought.

I will look forward with much interest to hearing this in the context of the complete symphony!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Thanks for bringing this forward, Jonathan! Mr. Williams has written quite a repertoire of great tunes, many of which have deservedly become, literally, popular classics. It surprises me little that his talents extend to the symphonic, as well; and you do both him and us a service with this...
    <chuckle>

My bad...

He's not that Paul Williams....

I suspect that is one of the reasons he chooses to go by "Elwood Herring" to avoid confusion

<still chuckling>

Well, you didn't have to be quite so quick to quote me before I suspected my own misidentification... lol.

Regardless, Mr. Williams' composition is a fine piece of work. This type of writing is far more difficult to do this well than most might realize... working this effectively with a minimum of resources requires a skillful touch.

I think Jamie Kowalski [SkySaw] might take particular interest in this, too, if he's around here somewhere.

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well, you didn't have to be quite so quick to quote me before I suspected my own misidentification... lol.
    Sheesh, it's bloody THREE O'CLOCK in the a.m for you... do you ever sleep?

-j

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Sheesh, it's bloody THREE O'CLOCK in the a.m for you... do you ever sleep?
    Generally during October.

Generally during October.
    <falls off chair laughing>

<faints>

Very nicely done by both! I especially like the rocking motion between minor 3rds. Really adds to the mystery of the piece.

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Very nicely done by both! I especially like the rocking motion between minor 3rds. Really adds to the mystery of the piece.

Best,
    Paula

Thanks, Paula

Go Back to forum