• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why are the violin section range limited to C6

Share/Bookmark

Why is the violin section range limited to C6

This is very annoying : violins can go up to the F6 or G6 in natural playing, as you can find dozens of examples in the 20th century repertoire.

Using the harmo is not really a solution but I have no other option for the mock-up of my composition in progress ( I don't want to bother with the Giga editor and don't have kontakt).

The same problem occurs with the violas, strangely enough in comparison the cello range is wide : up to C5.

Can any sample developer ore other users tell me the reason of this gap and if it will be fixed by an update(for free of course !) in the near future ?

Re: Why are the violin section range limited to C6

What lib, dude?? They're not all the same.

I do know that some patches of VSL's can reach the D6 in natural playing but for all the others it's definitely C6 : am I wrong ?

What C is middle C for you? for me it's C4, so by that count most libraries go up to C7 at the very least. Please can you clarify?

D

For me middle C is C3, when you say C7 ( or C6) at the very least, can you name a library that can go upper with natural playing ?

I think that VSL goes up to D (I'll check tomorrow). How much higher do you want to go? I have had to play F before now and it's not pretty. Just look at the length of string..........!

D

Yes VSL's go up to D, it's useful but still limited : the example that I have in mind right now is the F# in the first mvt of Mahler seventh's but I think I can find much more in contemporary music. I don't know if it's a matter of string, much more of finger size I would say but I'm not a violonist !

I'm surprised that neither composers or nor sample developers feel concerned by this string range issue.

I can see hundreds of topic debating of the agressivity and fastness of a staccato ( ?), endless X versus Y lib, but I didn't find any topic talking about the instruments range though it's a very important one : how can you discuss the quality of sound if the note is not even available ?

Here is the real Violin range :

http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/%7Eahugill/...lin/range.html

and the Viola :

http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/%7Eahugill/...ola/range.html

I hope the developers will take this in consideration.

I think that if people are interested in making "scary music" they should be aware that very high register playing is often the key of the scariest sounding effects : don't know why but reminds me some Hitchcok movie...

GOS has a couple violin patches with extended upper range but offhand I don't remember the exact notes involved.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    GOS has a couple violin patches with extended upper range but offhand I don't remember the exact notes involved.
    Thank you for the reply. Do you know where I can find more information about the GPO violins range ? It's not listed on the website.

Go Back to forum